Quote Post

Punching above his weight

Group: Members
Member Inventory: View

Member No.: 461

Poll finds more Americans believe in devil than Darwin
Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:53pm GMT

By Ed Stoddard

DALLAS (Reuters Life!) - More Americans believe in a literal hell and the devil than Darwin's theory of evolution, according to a new Harris poll released on Thursday.

It is the latest survey to highlight America's deep level of religiosity, a cultural trait that sets it apart from much of the developed world.

It also helps explain many of its political battles which Europeans find bewildering, such as efforts to have "Intelligent Design" theory -- which holds life is too complex to have evolved by chance -- taught in schools alongside evolution.

The poll of 2,455 U.S. adults from Nov 7 to 13 found that 82 percent of those surveyed believed in God, a figure unchanged since the question was asked in 2005.

It further found that 79 percent believed in miracles, 75 percent in heaven, while 72 percent believed that Jesus is God or the Son of God. Belief in hell and the devil was expressed by 62 percent.

Darwin's theory of evolution met a far more skeptical audience which might surprise some outsiders as the United States is renowned for its excellence in scientific research.

Only 42 percent of those surveyed said they believed in Darwin's theory which largely informs how biology and related sciences are approached. While often referred to as evolution it is in fact the 19th century British intellectual's theory of "natural selection."

There are unsurprising differences among religious groups.

"Born-again Christians are more likely to believe in the traditional elements of Christianity than are Catholics or Protestants. For example, 95 percent believe in miracles, compared to 87 percent and 89 percent among Catholics and Protestants," according to the poll.

"On the other hand only 16 percent of born-again Christians, compared to 43 percent of Catholics and 30 percent of Protestants, believe in Darwin's theory of evolution."

What is perhaps surprising is that substantial minorities in America apparently believe in ghosts, UFOs, witches, astrology and reincarnation.

The survey, which has a sampling error of plus or minus two percent, found that 35 percent of the respondents believed in UFOs and 31 percent in witches.

More born-again Christians -- a term which usually refers to evangelical Protestants who place great emphasis on the conversion experience -- believed in witches at 37 percent than mainline Protestants or Catholics, both at 32 percent.

---from http://uk.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUKN2922875820071129

-------~~~~--------
QUOTE (John Lennon)
Free yourselves
PMEmail PosterMSN
Josh
Posted: Dec 3 2007, 07:07 AM
Quote Post

Senior

Member No.: 46

maryluvs_rotflmao2.gif maryluvs_rotflmao2.gif maryluvs_dead2.gif
PMEmail Poster
(Un)Binding Ties
Posted: Jan 9 2008, 07:34 PM
Quote Post

Christians Ain't Got No Copyright On God!

Member No.: 92

why is this surprising? unsure.gif

-------~~~~--------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Verizon_Comcast_Cablevision
Posted: Jan 12 2008, 02:03 PM
Quote Post

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God....

Member No.: 1663

Waste of a survey, time and everything else. Useless ass studies but can't study the cure to an acute viral nasopharyngitis... Ain't that some shit.
PM
Wee Tony
Posted: Jan 12 2008, 03:31 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Verizon_Comcast_Cablevision @ Jan 12 2008, 07:03 PM)
Waste of a survey, time and everything else. Useless ass studies but can't study the cure to an acute viral nasopharyngitis... Ain't that some shit.

You have a misunderstanding of what the common cold is.

You might think it a waste of time, but it should concern you that a country with a nuclear arsenal is intellectually stuck in the dark ages.
Isn't that some shit?

-------~~~~--------
QUOTE (John Lennon)
Free yourselves
PMEmail PosterMSN
Wee Tony
Posted: Jan 12 2008, 03:32 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Merrymaking @ Jan 10 2008, 12:34 AM)
why is this surprising? unsure.gif

The sheer percentages involved

-------~~~~--------
QUOTE (John Lennon)
Free yourselves
PMEmail PosterMSN
Posted: Jan 14 2008, 12:19 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (TonusTheGreat @ Jan 12 2008, 03:31 PM)

You might think it a waste of time, but it should concern you that a country with a nuclear arsenal is intellectually stuck in the dark ages.
Isn't that some shit?

No, I don't have a misunderstaning of what it is, nor am I saying they do. What I am saying is they can't even find a cure for a common cold, so they do a study on more Americans believing in the devil than Darwin's Theory... (I say common cold using it as something so small because millions of studies and we get theories, myths, and that's the closest we come to truth.) Like, I happen to agree with alot from Darwin's Theory of Evolution but it's a Theory - predictions with little information of phenomenas. Yes, its sad that a country is blind to this as well as many other issues but I have my reason for believing it's a waste of a time survey and I'm not surprised that more people believe in the devil. He's real, he exist in everyday life. The most realest things are the unseen. A nuclear arsenal is something we have seen, so to go off of a phenomena , it's something that shouldn't suprise you that people are still living in old age. Anyways, the study wasn't going to open up anymore eyes then what it has opened beig it's 2008, and the stats are basially the same from 2005. That's some shit.
PM
(Un)Binding Ties
Posted: Jan 14 2008, 07:44 AM
Quote Post

Christians Ain't Got No Copyright On God!

Member No.: 92

QUOTE (TonusTheGreat @ Jan 12 2008, 02:32 PM)
The sheer percentages involved

i didn't need a survey to prove that a majority of Americans believe this. Maybe non-Americanz did tho. maryluvs_dunno.gif

-------~~~~--------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Wee Tony
Posted: Jan 14 2008, 10:25 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Verizon_Comcast_Cablevision @ Jan 14 2008, 05:19 AM)

Isn't that some shit?

No, I don't have a misunderstaning of what it is, nor am I saying they do. What I am saying is they can't even find a cure for a common cold,

The common cold will never be cured simply because it's a misnomer. It would be more accurate to call it the uncommon colds. No two waves of cold viruses are the same - there is no one-fix solution to an innumerable variety of viruses.
The common cold is an umbrella term - not a single virus.
In reality they can vaccinate for particular strains of the virus (and they do) but it is simply an impossibility to have an umbrella vaccination. It would be pretty infeasible anyway.
They don't study that cos it is a fruitless waste of time.

so they do a study on more Americans believing in the devil than Darwin's Theory... (I say common cold using it as something so small because millions of studies and we get theories, myths, and that's the closest we come to truth.)

You say 'they' like it is one group of people studying one thing at a time. Really, academic study is more democratic than that - plenty of different people study plenty of different things. This is a sociological study. A sociologist would be of little use in a pharmaceuticals lab.
These kind of studies have their place - they study things that affect American intellectual credibility.

Like, I happen to agree with alot from Darwin's Theory of Evolution but it's a Theory - predictions with little information of phenomenas.

You have to be shitting me.

Yes, its sad that a country is blind to this as well as many other issues but I have my reason for believing it's a waste of a time survey and I'm not surprised that more people believe in the devil. He's real, he exist in everyday life.

No really, you're taking the piss now - you have to be.

The most realest things are the unseen. A nuclear arsenal is something we have seen, so to go off of a phenomena , it's something that shouldn't suprise you that people are still living in old age. Anyways, the study wasn't going to open up anymore eyes then what it has opened beig it's 2008, and the stats are basially the same from 2005. That's some shit.

It looks to me like the stats are the same as medieval Europe.

-------~~~~--------
QUOTE (John Lennon)
Free yourselves
PMEmail PosterMSN
Wee Tony
Posted: Jan 14 2008, 10:26 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Merrymaking @ Jan 14 2008, 12:44 PM)
i didn't need a survey to prove that a majority of Americans believe this. Maybe non-Americanz did tho. maryluvs_dunno.gif

Yeah, I did!! maryluvs_laughing.gif
I thought the nutters were a minority confined to the bible belt, not such a shocking majority maryluvs_laughing.gif

-------~~~~--------
QUOTE (John Lennon)
Free yourselves
PMEmail PosterMSN
Posted: Jan 15 2008, 03:09 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (TonusTheGreat @ Jan 14 2008, 10:25 AM)
QUOTE (Verizon_Comcast_Cablevision @ Jan 14 2008, 05:19 AM)

Isn't that some shit?

No, I don't have a misunderstaning of what it is, nor am I saying they do. What I am saying is they can't even find a cure for a common cold,

The common cold will never be cured simply because it's a misnomer. It would be more accurate to call it the uncommon colds. No two waves of cold viruses are the same - there is no one-fix solution to an innumerable variety of viruses.
The common cold is an umbrella term - not a single virus.
In reality they can vaccinate for particular strains of the virus (and they do) but it is simply an impossibility to have an umbrella vaccination. It would be pretty infeasible anyway.
They don't study that cos it is a fruitless waste of time.

so they do a study on more Americans believing in the devil than Darwin's Theory... (I say common cold using it as something so small because millions of studies and we get theories, myths, and that's the closest we come to truth.)

You say 'they' like it is one group of people studying one thing at a time. Really, academic study is more democratic than that - plenty of different people study plenty of different things. This is a sociological study. A sociologist would be of little use in a pharmaceuticals lab.
These kind of studies have their place - they study things that affect American intellectual credibility.

You have to be shitting me.

Yes, its sad that a country is blind to this as well as many other issues but I have my reason for believing it's a waste of a time survey and I'm not surprised that more people believe in the devil. He's real, he exist in everyday life.

No really, you're taking the piss now - you have to be.

The most realest things are the unseen. A nuclear arsenal is something we have seen, so to go off of a phenomena , it's something that shouldn't suprise you that people are still living in old age. Anyways, the study wasn't going to open up anymore eyes then what it has opened beig it's 2008, and the stats are basially the same from 2005. That's some shit.

It looks to me like the stats are the same as medieval Europe.

maryluvs_dead2.gif maryluvs_dead2.gif I'm so glad that you read so deeply into every word I said.... They as in whoever.... Not as one group. They-people in general That is a definition of they. You can always tell when someone hasn't always known because they are the first to let it out rather than having a simple comment and leaving it at that and not having to prove themselves. Oh, and you dont believe in the devil? And on the stats... EXACTLY MY POINT!!!
PM
rodog
Posted: Jan 15 2008, 04:15 PM
Quote Post

Sophomore

Member No.: 113

Why should this be surprising ? Darwin's evolution theory evidence changes every 20 years. The biblical beliefs stay consistent.
PMEmail Poster
Wee Tony
Posted: Jan 15 2008, 07:37 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (rodog @ Jan 15 2008, 09:15 PM)
Why should this be surprising ? Darwin's evolution theory evidence changes every 20 years. The biblical beliefs stay consistent.

...because you (and other laymen) can't question them. Scientific method is subject to constant revision and peer review in the quest to hone it and bring us closer to the truth. Each step is a refinement of the last. That is its strength.
Anyway, that's not true - the bible was used to justify slavery and misogyny and they are no longer with us.

QUOTE (Verizon_Comcast_Cablevision)

I'm so glad that you read so deeply into every word I said.... They as in whoever.... Not as one group. They-people in general That is a definition of they. You can always tell when someone hasn't always known because they are the first to let it out rather than having a simple comment and leaving it at that and not having to prove themselves. Oh, and you dont believe in the devil? And on the stats... EXACTLY MY POINT!!!

Listen, I don't mean to be cheeky, but I don't think you're point is hard to get. I read what you said - it would be rude to indulge you in debate and not to. I was just trying to explain why I think it is important to keep track of these types of developments (or lack of) in social opinion.
And if you read my original post - which is weeks upon weeks old - you'll see I made no comment at all. I simply cut and paste the story.
And no, I don't believe in the devil. I believe - as does the bible incidentally - that people have free will, and as such are responsible for their own actions. It's all too easy for people to admonish themselves of responsibility by blaming an abstract evil force. If someone does something bad (which in itself is a subjective value) then it is not the doing of some cloven hoofed, horned being, but their own inherent desires. But that's a whole different debate.

-------~~~~--------
QUOTE (John Lennon)
Free yourselves
PMEmail PosterMSN
Posted: Jan 18 2008, 05:47 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (TonusTheGreat @ Jan 15 2008, 07:37 PM)
...because you (and other laymen) can't question them. Scientific method is subject to constant revision and peer review in the quest to hone it and bring us closer to the truth. Each step is a refinement of the last. That is its strength.
Anyway, that's not true - the bible was used to justify slavery and misogyny and they are no longer with us.

QUOTE (Verizon_Comcast_Cablevision)

I'm so glad that you read so deeply into every word I said.... They as in whoever.... Not as one group. They-people in general That is a definition of they. You can always tell when someone hasn't always known because they are the first to let it out rather than having a simple comment and leaving it at that and not having to prove themselves. Oh, and you dont believe in the devil? And on the stats... EXACTLY MY POINT!!!

Listen, I don't mean to be cheeky, but I don't think you're point is hard to get. I read what you said - it would be rude to indulge you in debate and not to. I was just trying to explain why I think it is important to keep track of these types of developments (or lack of) in social opinion.
And if you read my original post - which is weeks upon weeks old - you'll see I made no comment at all. I simply cut and paste the story.
And no, I don't believe in the devil. I believe - as does the bible incidentally - that people have free will, and as such are responsible for their own actions. It's all too easy for people to admonish themselves of responsibility by blaming an abstract evil force. If someone does something bad (which in itself is a subjective value) then it is not the doing of some cloven hoofed, horned being, but their own inherent desires. But that's a whole different debate.

maryluvs_thumbup.gif
PM

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Google

Web maryluvs.clicdev.com
Skin By L!th!uM sur PlanetGrafiK
Web Statistics