Skin Invision By L!th!uM

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Percival Everett, has become my FAVORITE living author
(Un)Binding Ties
  Posted: Dec 14 2009, 03:05 PM
Quote Post

Christians Ain't Got No Copyright On God!

Group: Members
Member Inventory: View

Member No.: 92

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percival_Everett

This man is a fukkin' genius. His writing style is... UNIQUE. He juxtaposes the funny, the intelligent, the unpredictable... so... effortlessly. His manipulation of the English language always leaves my mouth a-gape. It makes sense since he is a professor of English at the University of Southern California.

He has an impressive list of books in his catalog - no less than 20.

For those folx who aren't afraid of... UNCONVENTIONAL kinda fiction, I suggest checking out these novels:

I Am Not Sidney Poitier. A black child is named Not Sidney by his mother whose last name is Poitier. She obviously has an odd sense of humor. Anywayz, The novel follows Not Sidney's life from birth through young adulthood. Everett's take on race, class, & power in this absurdist commentary piece is pure CLASS.

American Desert follows an English professor who is decapitated while on his way to commit suicide. In the middle of his funeral service, he sits up in his casket, reanimated and ready to make amends for the poor choices in his... ahem, life.

Wounded is another slice of must-read fiction about a black rancher (huh?) in Wyoming who is forced to face racism and homophobia in a way that he had previously & consciously avoided. It is not as tongue-in-cheek as IANSP or AD , but the novel left me emotionally drained - in a (relatively) good way.

Some of the passages in each of his works may require a re-read - or 2 or 3 - to fully grasp the breadth of the message, but IMHO, the time it takes to comprehend the gist of his message pays off exponentially.

-------~~~~--------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
(Un)Binding Ties
Posted: Dec 28 2009, 01:41 PM
Quote Post

Currently, I'm reading one of his older novels called Erasure. The protagonist is a well-respected, but comparatively unsuccessful black author whose books have been rather esoteric and hard to follow by the mainstream. Ergo, he hasn't been as commercially viable as other black authors whom he believes 'sells out' in a coonish kinda way. Because of tragic personal circumstances, he himself composes a novel that reveals his own perspective on 'coonery'. & whaddayaknow... that book bucks the trend and becomes the biggest money-maker of his career...

-------~~~~--------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Gone
Posted: Dec 28 2009, 01:50 PM
Quote Post

Senior

Member No.: 259

QUOTE (HIGHfalutin @ Dec 14 2009, 01:55 PM)
I Am Not Sidney Poitier. A you black man is named Not Sidney by his mother whose last name is Poitier. The novel follows Not Sidney's life from birth through young adulthood. Everett's take on race, class, & power in this absurdist commentary piece is pure CLASS.

This one seems interesting.
PMEmail Poster
(Un)Binding Ties
Posted: Jan 2 2010, 02:21 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (HIGHfalutin @ Dec 28 2009, 12:31 PM)
Currently, I'm reading one of his older novels called Erasure. The protagonist is a well-respected, but comparatively unsuccessful black author whose books have been rather esoteric and hard to follow by the mainstream. Ergo, he hasn't been as commercially viable as other black authors whom he believes 'sells out' in a coonish kinda way. Because of tragic personal circumstances, he himself composes a novel that reveals his own perspective on 'coonery'. & whaddayaknow... that book bucks the trend and becomes the biggest money-maker of his career...

ok. done with Erasure. Another winner. Everett employs a novel-within-a-novel literary device with this 1. the 'mainstream/sell-out' piece that i mentioned earlier is authored by the same main character, but he uses a pseudonym because he doesn't want any1 to know that he wrote what he considers to be an inferior piece of work. and that entire novel is included within Erasure. He initially entitles it My Pafology, then changes it to Fuck right before it's supposed to be published. Erasure is a rather depressing piece of fiction, but Everett certainly got me to laugh out load several times with a few passages. This man's sense of humor is unparalleled IMO.

Word izzzz, that ANGELA BASSETT will be making her directorial debut turning this very novel into a motion picture!! maryluvs_twist_shout.gif

-------~~~~--------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
(Un)Binding Ties
Posted: Jan 8 2010, 02:21 PM
Quote Post

O.K. - Just finished reading God's Country. This novel is one of Everett's oldest pieces of fiction, as it was published in 1994. This book is so a-typical of a book that I would read because it's a Western (more or less). Still, the fact that I cracked it open, gave it a chance, and finished it within 1 day is testament to the masterful talent that Everett possesses as an author.

The protagonist is perhaps one of the most unsympathetic characters in contemporary fiction. Curt Marder, a white cowboy who proves to be a racist, sexist, hedonistic coward, hires an ex-slave named Bubba to help him track down the men who have kidnapped his wife and burned down his house. Because the setting is 1871, the Emancipation Proclamation is still less than a decade old, so Blacks & Native Americans are, of course, major targets. I think I will cease my description of this masterwork here. The last thing I will say about God's Country is that it certainly has THE best ending of any Everett book that I've read this far. It. Is. Epic. maryluvs_clap2.gif

-------~~~~--------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Rhapsody In Blue
Posted: Jan 8 2010, 07:45 PM
Quote Post

H A R L E P O L I S

Member No.: 54

I'm only fimiliar with I Am Not Sidney Poitier which was a hilarious read. I haven't heard of him previously though, I was in a Trey Ellis kick and I wanted to read a satire novel by black authors in the same vein as Platitudes and I stumbled on this one as a result.

Of course, its not even similar to Trey Ellis' book but I was glad for finding out about him just the same.

I'm not sure what to read from him next, though maryluvs_hmm.gif

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
(Un)Binding Ties
Posted: Jan 9 2010, 01:28 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Stranger On Earth @ Jan 8 2010, 06:35 PM)
I'm only fimiliar with I Am Not Sidney Poitier which was a hilarious read. I haven't heard of him previously though, I was in a Trey Ellis kick and I wanted to read a satire novel by black authors in the same vein as Platitudes and I stumbled on this one as a result.

Of course, its not even similar to Trey Ellis' book but I was glad for finding out about him just the same.

I'm not sure what to read from him next, though maryluvs_hmm.gif

I would suggest either Erasure or God's Country. They're relatively easy reads, especially GC. Everett can be a bit hard to follow and can require your full attention when he's in esoteric mode.

Speaking of IANSP, I would thoroughly enjoy seeing the dining room table scene depicted on film when Not Sidney has Thanksgiving dinner with his lite-skinned girlfriend's family from DC. When he lets them redbones finally know that he knows that the only reason they're ok with their precious girl being sullied by a darkie like Not is because he's rich, I laughed out loud multiple times
maryluvs_laughing.gif

-------~~~~--------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
(Un)Binding Ties
Posted: Feb 20 2010, 02:56 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (HIGHfalutin @ Jan 2 2010, 01:11 PM)
ok. done with Erasure. Another winner. Everett employs a novel-within-a-novel literary device with this 1. the 'mainstream/sell-out' piece that i mentioned earlier is authored by the same main character, but he uses a pseudonym because he doesn't want any1 to know that he wrote what he considers to be an inferior piece of work. and that entire novel is included within Erasure. He initially entitles it My Pafology, then changes it to Fuck right before it's supposed to be published. Erasure is a rather depressing piece of fiction, but Everett certainly got me to laugh out load several times with a few passages. This man's sense of humor is unparalleled IMO.

Word izzzz, that ANGELA BASSETT will be making her directorial debut turning this very novel into a motion picture!!  maryluvs_twist_shout.gif

i just finished reading Push by Sapphire. This book is what the movie "Precious" is based upon. Imagine my surprise when i realized that the 'book within a book' in Erasure - Fuck - was actually a satire mocking Push! O-M-G. Whatta revelation lol. Any1 who reads these 2 books will understand my observation. Everett has NO LOVE for Sapphire. He totally emulates her writing style in Fuck - in a very... UNcomplimentary way, I must add... maryluvs_laughing.gif

-------~~~~--------
PMEmail PosterYahoo

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Google

Web maryluvs.clicdev.com
Skin By L!th!uM sur PlanetGrafiK
Web Statistics