Skin Invision By L!th!uM

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Pros and Cons of Palin, interesting article.
Gone
Posted: Aug 29 2008, 01:22 PM
Quote Post

Senior

Group: Members
Member Inventory: View

Member No.: 259

I wasn't really familiar with Palin, so I looked up some info on her. This article pretty much breaks it down.

The pick of Sarah Palin caught almost everyone by surprise. Most signs last night seemed to point to Pawlenty, but McCain camp proved it can keep a secret REALLY well.

This was a bold move in this historic election, and a play for those Clinton supporters. Palin is a social conservative, and her views on abortion won't play well with most Democratic women. But this election has been a case study in identity politics. We'll see if she peels away some women.

The potential to grab some of those women voters is perhaps the best asset Palin brings to a McCain ticket. She also reinforces McCain's maverick image. She bucked her own party, launching an ethics investigation into the state party chairman with regard to his dealings with oil companies in the state. And being from Alaska, she's the ultimate outsider. She also also reinforces McCain's drilling message -- though she's for drilling in ANWR; McCain is not. She also represents the next generation of Republican leaders -- she's a fresh face.

But there are some potential pitfalls as well. Palin is currently under legislative investigation herself, accused of firing the state's public safety commissioner for not firing her former brother-in-law.

"A legislative panel has launched a $100,000 investigation to determine if Palin dismissed Alaska's public safety commissioner because he would not fire the trooper, Mike Wooten," the AP wrote earlier this month. "Wooten went through a messy divorce from Palin's sister. Palin has denied the commissioner's dismissal had anything to do with her former brother-in-law. And she denied orchestrating the dozens of telephone calls made by her husband and members of her administration to Wooten's bosses. Palin said she welcomes the investigation: 'Hold me accountable.'"

Although she's not linked to them, Sen. Ted Stevens and Rep. Don Young are facing legal/ethical troubles. In fact, Stevens' trial will start in late September, so the Alaska Republican Party is a mess. And Palin's trooper trouble could play into that.

It will be interesting to see which story line catches on: "Palin, the reformer/maverick", or "Palin, under investigation?"

Ironically, Republicans have hit Obama on not being ready to be president, not ready to be commander in chief, because of his limited national experience. But Palin has only been governor of Alaska for less than two years and will surely face questions of whether she would be ready to step in as president. Of course, Republicans will point out that the difference is McCain and his experience are at the TOP of the ticket.

Additionally, it's not clear she would give any geographical advantage. Alaska has been solidly red -- it's only gone Democratic once (1964) since it became a state. Does she help in the West? It's not clear.

On the issues, she is anti-abortion rights and is a hunter and fisher. In fact, she's a card-carrying lifetime member of the National Rifle Association.

The 44-year-old, Idaho-born Palin is Alaska's first woman governor and the state's youngest governor as well. Palin, a graduate of the University of Idaho (majored in political science and journalism), was elected mayor of the town of Wasilla when she was 32. After she lost a bid to be lieutenant governor in 2002 -- by less than 2,000 votes, raising her statewide profile -- she went into the private sector, becoming chairwoman of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission.

Before getting into politics, she help run her husband's family commercial fishing business, according to the Almanac of American Politics. She also did work as a TV sports reporter.

She was described by the Anchorage Press as "a small-town, angel-faced mother of four, an avid hunter and a fisher with a killer smile who wears designer glasses and heels, and hair like modern sculpture, who's taking it to the boys every so softly."

On the personal side, she played high school basketball and her team won the state championship in 1982. She was nicknamed "Sarah Barracuda." According to the Almanac, she was Miss Wasilla in 1984 and competed in the Miss Alaska contest. She eloped with her high school boyfriend.
PMEmail Poster
No One Will Do
Posted: Aug 29 2008, 01:35 PM
Quote Post

Kiki-**Certified Party Planner**

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 32

I just heard heard her speak. She SHAMELESSLY, exploited her son by mentioning quite a few times that he enlisted in the army 9/11/2007. She also did some HEAVY PANDERING maryluvs_dead2.gif maryluvs_laughing.gif for Hillary's 18 million votes really now unsure.gif she's pro-life. I'm thinking as I watched this spectacle being played maryluvs_huhh.gif Are they for real? and since we talking about MCcain she is a former beauty queen 2nd runner up Ms. Alaska at least he's consistent...No other females available or better candidates. maryluvs_brow.gif A mockery of democracy. This is the judgement that he demonstrates to put a heart beat away the presidency?

-------~~~~--------
user posted image

"Sincerity"
Mary J. Blige feat. Nas & DMX - Sincerity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmsIliDu4qE
user posted image [/color]

user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
Wee Tony
Posted: Aug 29 2008, 07:34 PM
Quote Post

Punching above his weight

Member No.: 461

Her selection is absolutely transparent.

They picked someone younger than Obama to compete for the voters who think Obama's youth is an an asset and to curtail criticism McCain is too old.

They picked a woman to appeal to the voters who supported Hillary Clinton because she is a woman (I'm talking about the simplistic Republican perspective - not reality BTW).

They picked someone who is married to an Inuit in an attempt to compete for voters who are attracted by the 'progressive' vibe of a black president.

They picked someone who's son is serving in Iraq to keep 'patriotism' on the table.

And they picked someone who is pro-life to consolidate the God Squad vote.

So in some ways, she is not a surprise choice at all. If you have a viewpoint that is simplistic and treats the voters like they are predictable idiots, as the Republican camp seems to, then, no, she is quite a predictable selection.

So prepare yourself for a lot of talk of 'glass ceilings', 'youthful enthusiasm under McCain's experienced guidance', "some of my best friends are black/Inuit", 'if you don't support war, then you don't support the troops/aren't patriotic', and 'family/traditional/christian values'. maryluvs_rolleyes0.gif

Oh, BTW....

I have to give credit where credit is due. I seen Obama's speech and heard someone finally talking policy. And it was good. Really good!
Unfortunately, if I am right, he'll have very little chance to talk about it again. The Republican camp are clearly looking to shift debate onto these other irrelevancies that Palin represents. maryluvs_sad.gif
THAT is my problem with the American media - they help the Republicans to shift the focus of debate onto irrelevancies. Which is convenient for the Republicans, because their policies are unsustainable and won't stand up to scrutiny. So they talk about firebrand Pastors instead maryluvs_yawn.gif

-------~~~~--------
QUOTE (John Lennon)
Free yourselves
PMEmail PosterMSN
No One Will Do
Posted: Aug 30 2008, 03:27 AM
Quote Post

Kiki-**Certified Party Planner**

Member No.: 32

QUOTE (Wee Tony @ Aug 29 2008, 06:34 PM)

They picked someone younger than Obama to compete for the voters who think Obama's youth is an an asset and to curtail criticism McCain is too old.

They picked a woman to appeal to the voters who supported Hillary Clinton because she is a woman (I'm talking about the simplistic Republican perspective - not reality BTW).

They picked someone who is married to an Inuit in an attempt to compete for voters who are attracted by the 'progressive' vibe of a black president.

They picked someone who's son is serving in Iraq to keep 'patriotism' on the table.

So in some ways, she is not a surprise choice at all.  If you have a viewpoint that is simplistic and treats the voters like they are predictable idiots, as the Republican camp seems to, then, no, she is quite a predictable selection.

So prepare yourself for a lot of talk of 'glass ceilings', 'youthful enthusiasm under McCain's experienced guidance', "some of my best friends are black/Inuit", 'if you don't support war, then you don't support the troops/aren't patriotic', and 'family/traditional/christian values'.  maryluvs_rolleyes0.gif

Oh, BTW....

I have to give credit where credit is due.  I seen Obama's speech and heard someone finally talking policy.  And it was good.  Really good! 
Unfortunately, if I am right, he'll have very little chance to talk about it again.  The Republican camp are clearly looking to shift debate onto these other irrelevancies that Palin represents. maryluvs_sad.gif
THAT is my problem with the American media - they help the Republicans to shift the focus of debate onto irrelevancies.  Which is convenient for the Republicans, because their policies are unsustainable and won't stand up to scrutiny.  So they talk about firebrand Pastors instead  maryluvs_yawn.gif

Your point is dead on. She is exactly what Obama has told his supporters from the beginning to be aware of and know it's coming just another distraction.

It will be a fight to keep the debate productive. They are basically as you said acting like those Hillary women voters are IDIOTS . This woman according to Newsweek called Hillary a whiner but never mind about that the past is the past. He obviously had a check list to appeal to the right: abortion, youth, change, and family values, (dog whistles) maryluvs_rolleyes0.gif they give Christians a bad name and image.

Anywho, in her speech she also kept stressing how she and her husband belong to a union unsure.gif and she's Republican. I saw an article how when she was mayor of her town of 6000 Walmart seems to have been one of her most prideful accomplishments; Walmart and Unions? maryluvs_huhh.gif not so much....This woman believes in absolutely nothing that Hillary does the only thing they seem to have in common is a vagina which for the republican party seems to be enough; but unfortunately many will fall for it and there is still because *coughs* of Obama's cultural "issues" a good chance it could work, this race will be close.

Glad you enjoyed the speech! maryluvs_thumbup.gif

-------~~~~--------
user posted image

"Sincerity"
Mary J. Blige feat. Nas & DMX - Sincerity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmsIliDu4qE
user posted image [/color]

user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
Wee Tony
Posted: Aug 30 2008, 09:13 AM
Quote Post

Punching above his weight

Member No.: 461

QUOTE (Come Away With Me @ Aug 30 2008, 08:27 AM)

So in some ways, she is not a surprise choice at all.  If you have a viewpoint that is simplistic and treats the voters like they are predictable idiots, as the Republican camp seems to, then, no, she is quite a predictable selection.

So prepare yourself for a lot of talk of 'glass ceilings', 'youthful enthusiasm under McCain's experienced guidance', "some of my best friends are black/Inuit", 'if you don't support war, then you don't support the troops/aren't patriotic', and 'family/traditional/christian values'.  maryluvs_rolleyes0.gif

Oh, BTW....

I have to give credit where credit is due.  I seen Obama's speech and heard someone finally talking policy.  And it was good.  Really good! 
Unfortunately, if I am right, he'll have very little chance to talk about it again.  The Republican camp are clearly looking to shift debate onto these other irrelevancies that Palin represents. maryluvs_sad.gif
THAT is my problem with the American media - they help the Republicans to shift the focus of debate onto irrelevancies.  Which is convenient for the Republicans, because their policies are unsustainable and won't stand up to scrutiny.  So they talk about firebrand Pastors instead   maryluvs_yawn.gif

Your point is dead on. She is exactly what Obama has told his supporters from the beginning to be aware of and know it's coming just another distraction.

It will be a fight to keep the debate productive. They are basically as you said acting like those Hillary women voters are IDIOTS . This woman according to Newsweek called Hillary a whiner but never mind about that the past is the past. He obviously had a check list to appeal to the right: abortion, youth, change, and family values, (dog whistles) maryluvs_rolleyes0.gif they give Christians a bad name and image.

Anywho, in her speech she also kept stressing how she and her husband belong to a union unsure.gif and she's Republican. I saw an article how when she was mayor of her town of 6000 Walmart seems to have been one of her most prideful accomplishments; Walmart and Unions? maryluvs_huhh.gif not so much....This woman believes in absolutely nothing that Hillary does the only thing they seem to have in common is a vagina which for the republican party seems to be enough; but unfortunately many will fall for it and there is still because *coughs* of Obama's cultural "issues" a good chance it could work, this race will be close.

Glad you enjoyed the speech! maryluvs_thumbup.gif

Your predictions are already coming true.
I was just reading the Obama thread in the Mary forum.

I notice Obama getting flack in that thread for not talking policy. I don't think that criticism can be levelled at him again. However, it can still be levelled at McCain.
I wonder if it is just more convenient to say 'he doesn't talk policy' than to tell us why they disagree with his policy. This will probably be the line of defence for the Hillary->McCain supporters. For them, policy will be a minefield - they'll find Obama and Hillary's policies are streets apart, but Obama and McCain's policy are worlds apart, so they will find a hard time justifying their lack of support for Obama on ideological grounds.

So they'll start talking about the irrelevancies which will spark a gold rush from the republicans.

If they spoke about policy (the only thing that really matters) then their reasons for supporting McCain over Obama will appear increasngly spurious. They would find it increasingly hard to justify their stance, and then we might get to the real reason they won't support Obama. Which is probably just that they're still sore from Hilary losing. (Incidentally , she was warned that running such a divisive campaign would have this result)

-------~~~~--------
QUOTE (John Lennon)
Free yourselves
PMEmail PosterMSN
Michelle Williams
Posted: Aug 30 2008, 11:30 AM
Quote Post

Senior

Member No.: 2576

I just found out on BBC news that she has a four month old baby with down-syndrome. That baby will need a lot of care for the rest of his life, so how will she manage to run the country with a young family consisting of five children including a severely disabled child?

I don't believe in the 'women can do it all' mantra, I think it is BS and unrealistic. Maybe if her children were older, and she did not have a disabled baby she would be able to manage. But juggling a career in the White House with a large young family plus a disabled child is a lot to handle for anyone. Somethings gotta give; either the baby or the nation.

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PM
Mary Poppins
Posted: Aug 30 2008, 06:17 PM
Quote Post

Confessed Shopaholic

Member No.: 14

maryluvs_excl.gif

-------~~~~--------
Follow me on Twitter @ShopaholicIAM
PMEmail PosterYahoo

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Google

Web maryluvs.clicdev.com
Skin By L!th!uM sur PlanetGrafiK
Web Statistics