Skin Invision By L!th!uM

Pages: (5) 1 2 [3] 4 5   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> What'cha Reading In 2008?
Jefferson St. Joe
Posted: Jun 16 2008, 09:43 AM
Quote Post

Are U Ready to Rock with the Queen of Hip Hop?

Group: Members
Member Inventory: View

Member No.: 4

user posted image

Fans of Augusten Burroughs's darkly funny memoir Running with Scissors were left wondering at the end of that book what would become of young Augusten after his squalid and fascinating childhood ended. In Dry, we find that although adult Augusten is doing well professionally, earning a handsome living as an ad writer for a top New York agency, Burroughs's personal life is a disaster. His apartment is a sea of empty Dewar's bottles, he stays out all night boozing, and he dabs cologne on his tongue in an unsuccessful attempt to mask the stench of alcohol on his breath at work. When his employer insists he seek help, Burroughs ships out to Minnesota for detoxification, counseling, and amusingly told anecdotes about the use of stuffed animals in group therapy. But after a month of such treatment, he's back in Manhattan and tenuously sober. And while its one thing to lay off the sauce in rehab, Burroughs learns that it's quite another to resume your former life while avoiding the alcohol that your former life was based around. This quest to remain sober is made dramatically more difficult, and the tale more harrowing, when Burroughs begins an ill-advised romance with a crack addict. Certainly the "recovered alcoholic fighting to stay sober" tale is not new territory for a memoirist. But Burroughs's account transcends clichés: it doesn't adhere to the traditional "temptation narrowly resisted" storyline and it features, in Burroughs himself, a central character that is sympathetic even when he's neither likable nor admirable. But what ultimately makes this memoir such a terrific read is a brilliant and candid sense of humor that manages to stay dry even when recalling events where the author was anything but.

This was a good read but I was kinda disappointed. This is the sequel to "Running With Scissors" which was a GOOD book. The main thing that was disappointing with this book was the fact that it's supposed to be the sequel to RWS taking place 10 years after RWS left off but the character seemed totally different. Yea I know people change as they get older but the Augusten in this store was too different from the one in RWS. He went thru some crazy things in this story but he dealt with everything the same way a normal sane person would deal with them, not like the Augusten I grew to love.

Also there wasn't really any mention of his mother or other family members that turned him into a loon boon anyway.

Oh well, it was still a decent book. maryluvs_thumbup.gif
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Jefferson St. Joe
Posted: Jun 16 2008, 09:53 AM
Quote Post

user posted image
In 1957, Mary Alice was a rebellious teenager in love with a rich Yankee boy who had just moved to her small Virginia mountain town-much to the chagrin of her God-fearing mother, Lavinia. By 2004, Mary Alice has become a spinster biology teacher who hasn't spoken to her mother in over forty years.

When Lavinia dies, Mary Alice's niece, Claire, inherits the family house and moves to Virginia, bringing along a deep curiosity about her family's dark past-and plenty of emotional baggage of her own.

This book doesn't come out until September but I got my hands on a advanced copy. This was one of the best books I have read in a long time.

This goes up on my list right next to "She's Come Undone" maryluvs_thumbup.gif

The author did a pretty good job considering this is her first book.
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Mary Poppins
Posted: Jun 16 2008, 03:07 PM
Quote Post

Confessed Shopaholic

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Jefferson St. Joe @ Jun 16 2008, 08:53 AM)
user posted image
In 1957, Mary Alice was a rebellious teenager in love with a rich Yankee boy who had just moved to her small Virginia mountain town-much to the chagrin of her God-fearing mother, Lavinia. By 2004, Mary Alice has become a spinster biology teacher who hasn't spoken to her mother in over forty years.

When Lavinia dies, Mary Alice's niece, Claire, inherits the family house and moves to Virginia, bringing along a deep curiosity about her family's dark past-and plenty of emotional baggage of her own.

This book doesn't come out until September but I got my hands on a advanced copy. This was one of the best books I have read in a long time.

This sounds very Oprah Bookclubish.

-------~~~~--------
Follow me on Twitter @ShopaholicIAM
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Jefferson St. Joe
Posted: Jun 16 2008, 09:19 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Noki Ling @ Jun 16 2008, 03:07 PM)
QUOTE (Jefferson St. Joe @ Jun 16 2008, 08:53 AM)
user posted image

This sounds very Oprah Bookclubish.

maryluvs_laughing.gif yea I'm sure it will end up being a OBC book. I think any book that starts off with a not so pretty, slightly chunky white girl in the 1950's is automatically tagged as a OBC book.
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Jefferson St. Joe
Posted: Jun 17 2008, 09:01 AM
Quote Post

user posted image
I finished this book yesterday. I'm not gonna post the synopsis because it will spoil some of the twist and turns in the first part of the book.

This is now my favorite JP novel. This books has a twist on just about every other page. maryluvs_furley.gif
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Mary Poppins
Posted: Jun 19 2008, 03:58 PM
Quote Post

Confessed Shopaholic

QUOTE (Jefferson St. Joe @ Jun 17 2008, 08:01 AM)
user posted image
I finished this book yesterday. I'm not gonna post the synopsis because it will spoil some of the twist and turns in the first part of the book.

This is now my favorite JP novel. This books has a twist on just about every other page. maryluvs_furley.gif

Damn, you making me wanna pick this book after work. His books are always good summer reads. I'm never disappointed.

-------~~~~--------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
electric boy
Posted: Jun 20 2008, 03:40 PM
Quote Post

Senior

Member No.: 612

user posted image

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMSN
electric boy
Posted: Jun 20 2008, 03:40 PM
Quote Post

Senior

user posted image

So beautiful wub.gif wub.gif

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMSN
Mary Poppins
Posted: Jul 3 2008, 01:23 PM
Quote Post

Confessed Shopaholic

Started this last night:

user posted image

Perhaps more than any other author, Koontz writes fiction perfectly suited to the mood of America post-September 11: novels that acknowledge the reality and tenacity of evil but also the power of good; that celebrate the common man and woman; that at their best entertain vastly as they uplift. His latest is one of those best, exciting and deeply moving, shorter than usual and also less prone to the overwriting, the flood of similes and metaphors, that sometimes overwhelms his storytelling. As usual for Koontz, the novel opens at full throttle: a mad doctor invades a motel in Arizona, injects both itinerant artist Dylan O'Connor and struggling comic Jillian Jackson (strangers to one another) with an unknown substance that, he says, is his life's work and will have some unknown effect, then warns them to flee before his enemies kill them; soon after, the doctor is slain by heavily armed assailants. The rest of the story is an extended chase, as Dylan and Jillian, along with Dylan's high-functioning autistic brother, Shep, dart around the West, only steps ahead of the assassins. Within hours, the effects of the injections materialize: Jillian experiences portentous visions-a flock of birds, a woman in a church; Dylan is overcome by the need to rush to the aid of people in distress (among others, in an intensely poignant scene, an elderly man searching for his missing daughter); and Shep learns to teleport himself and others. (Interestingly, Koontz bases the science behind these developments on nanotechnology, the same mechanism used by Michael Crichton in his just published Prey, an object lesson in how two writers can take the same premise and generate two very different yet excellent novels). The novel's only flaw is its abrupt ending, contrived probably to allow sequels-a probability that Koontz fans, but also anyone else who reads this novel, a predestined bestseller and rightfully so, will applaud.
Copyright 2002 Reed Business Information, Inc.

-------~~~~--------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Rhapsody In Blue
Posted: Jul 4 2008, 08:47 AM
Quote Post

H A R L E P O L I S

Member No.: 54

user posted image

Of Human Bondage is the first and most autobiographical of Maugham’s masterpieces. It is the story of Philip Carey, an orphan eager for life, love and adventure. After a few months studying in Heidelberg, and a brief spell in Paris as would-be artist, Philip settles in London to train as a doctor.
And that is where he meets Mildred, the loud but irresistible waitress with whom he plunges into a formative, tortured and masochistic affair which very nearly ruins him.

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Jefferson St. Joe
Posted: Jul 7 2008, 11:11 AM
Quote Post

user posted image

"I was born twice: first, as a baby girl, on a remarkably smogless Detroit day in January of 1960; and then again, as a teenage boy, in an emergency room near Petoskey, Michigan, in August of 1974." And so begins Middlesex, the mesmerizing saga of a near-mythic Greek American family and the "roller-coaster ride of a single gene through time." The odd but utterly believable story of Cal Stephanides, and how this 41-year-old hermaphrodite was raised as Calliope, is at the tender heart of this long-awaited second novel from Jeffrey Eugenides, whose elegant and haunting 1993 debut, The Virgin Suicides, remains one of the finest first novels of recent memory.
Eugenides weaves together a kaleidoscopic narrative spanning 80 years of a stained family history, from a fateful incestuous union in a small town in early 1920s Asia Minor to Prohibition-era Detroit; from the early days of Ford Motors to the heated 1967 race riots; from the tony suburbs of Grosse Pointe and a confusing, aching adolescent love story to modern-day Berlin. Eugenides's command of the narrative is astonishing. He balances Cal/Callie's shifting voices convincingly, spinning this strange and often unsettling story with intelligence, insight, and generous amounts of humor:

When you get to the end of this splendorous book, when you suddenly realize that after hundreds of pages you have only a few more left to turn over, you'll experience a quick pang of regret knowing that your time with Cal is coming to a close, and you may even resist finishing it--putting it aside for an hour or two, or maybe overnight--just so that this wondrous, magical novel might never end.
maryluvs_excl.gif That's exactly how I felt. It felt like as soon as another journey was about to begin the story was about to end.

But overall this book was AMAZING!!!! But don't let the synopsis fool you. Most people will think this book is just a story about a hermaphrodite but it's so much more than that.

I might have to check out "The Virgin Suicides". maryluvs_hmm.gif
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Mary Poppins
Posted: Jul 7 2008, 11:17 AM
Quote Post

Confessed Shopaholic

QUOTE (Jefferson St. Joe @ Jul 7 2008, 10:11 AM)
maryluvs_excl.gif That's exactly how I felt. It felt like as soon as another journey was about to begin the story was about to end.

But overall this book was AMAZING!!!! But don't let the synopsis fool you. Most people will think this book is just a story about a hermaphrodite but it's so much more than that.

Isn't this Oprah's Bookclub summer book? Or was it last summer's book? unsure.gif

-------~~~~--------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Jefferson St. Joe
Posted: Jul 7 2008, 11:41 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Noki Ling @ Jul 7 2008, 11:17 AM)
QUOTE (Jefferson St. Joe @ Jul 7 2008, 10:11 AM)
maryluvs_excl.gif That's exactly how I felt.  It felt like as soon as another journey was about to begin the story was about to end.

But overall this book was AMAZING!!!!  But don't let the synopsis fool you.  Most people will think this book is just a story about a hermaphrodite but it's so much more than that.

Isn't this Oprah's Bookclub summer book? Or was it last summer's book? unsure.gif

Are you trying to say I only read Oprha Book club books? dry.gif

yea I think it was one of her book club books, I'm not sure what year.

I swear to you I don't go out looking for OBC Books. maryluvs_laughing.gif
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Jefferson St. Joe
Posted: Jul 29 2008, 09:08 AM
Quote Post

user posted image
A cold case grows hot again in Gardner's sixth high-octane page-turner, a romantic thriller that features rookie FBI agent Kimberly Quincy. Kimberly is the daughter of Pierce Quincy, former FBI profiler turned PI, last seen in The Next Accident. She's a tough, troubled young woman still recovering from the murders of her mother and sister six years earlier. During week nine of the FBI Academy's 16-week training program in Virginia, she discovers the body of a young woman who looks like her late sister. Since the corpse has been dumped on a secured Marine base, the Naval Criminal Investigation Service is in charge, but determined Kimberly soon takes a leave of absence so she can team up with Michael "Mac" McCormack, visiting Georgia Bureau of Investigations Special Agent, along with her father and his partner, Rainie Connor, to prevent another death. Mac receives taunting mail and cell phone messages ("planet dying... animals weeping... rivers screaming... can't you hear it? Heat kills") that lead him to suspect a serial eco-killer who last struck in Georgia three years earlier, leaving seven dead women and one survivor. Sparks fly between Kimberly and Mac as they rush to rescue the eco-killer's latest victim, Tina Krahn. Gardner offers riveting glimpses of Tina's struggle to survive in an environmentally hazardous locale. With tight plotting, an ear for forensic detail and a dash of romance, this is a truly satisfying sizzler in the tradition of Tess Gerritsen and Tami Hoag.

It was ok read. Just an average serial killer novel. Someone gave it to me so I read it...
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Jefferson St. Joe
Posted: Aug 4 2008, 04:01 PM
Quote Post

user posted image

Oskar Schell, is a nine-year-old amateur inventor, jewelry designer, astrophysicist, tambourine player and pacifist. Like the second-language narrator of Illuminated, Oskar turns his naïvely precocious vocabulary to the understanding of historical tragedy, as he searches New York for the lock that matches a mysterious key left by his father when he was killed in the September 11 attacks, a quest that intertwines with the story of his grandparents, whose lives were blighted by the firebombing of Dresden. Foer embellishes the narrative with evocative graphics, including photographs, colored highlights and passages of illegibly overwritten text, and takes his unique flair for the poetry of miscommunication to occasionally gimmicky lengths, like a two-page soliloquy written entirely in numerical code. Although not quite the comic tour de force that Illuminated was, the novel is replete with hilarious and appalling passages, as when, during show-and-tell, Oskar plays a harrowing recording by a Hiroshima survivor and then launches into a Poindexterish disquisition on the bomb's "charring effect." It's more of a challenge to play in the same way with the very recent collapse of the towers, but Foer gambles on the power of his protagonist's voice to transform the cataclysm from raw current event to a tragedy at once visceral and mythical. Unafraid to show his traumatized characters' constant groping for emotional catharsis, Foer demonstrates once again that he is one of the few contemporary writers willing to risk sentimentalism in order to address great questions of truth, love and beauty.

maryluvs_thumbup.gif
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Jefferson St. Joe
Posted: Aug 4 2008, 11:06 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (amerykahn promise @ Jun 20 2008, 03:40 PM)
user posted image

So beautiful wub.gif  wub.gif

I was looking for this on Saturday but everywhere I went was sold out. I think I'm gonna wait for the paperback to come out anyway.

I'm currently reading his first book "The Kite Runner"
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Jefferson St. Joe
  Posted: Aug 11 2008, 09:43 AM
Quote Post

user posted image
In his debut novel, The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini accomplishes what very few contemporary novelists are able to do. He manages to provide an educational and eye-opening account of a country's political turmoil--in this case, Afghanistan--while also developing characters whose heartbreaking struggles and emotional triumphs resonate with readers long after the last page has been turned over. And he does this on his first try.
The Kite Runner follows the story of Amir, the privileged son of a wealthy businessman in Kabul, and Hassan, the son of Amir's father's servant. As children in the relatively stable Afghanistan of the early 1970s, the boys are inseparable. They spend idyllic days running kites and telling stories of mystical places and powerful warriors until an unspeakable event changes the nature of their relationship forever, and eventually cements their bond in ways neither boy could have ever predicted. Even after Amir and his father flee to America, Amir remains haunted by his cowardly actions and disloyalty. In part, it is these demons and the sometimes impossible quest for forgiveness that bring him back to his war-torn native land after it comes under Taliban rule. ("...I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded, not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night.")

Some of the plot's turns and twists may be somewhat implausible, but Hosseini has created characters that seem so real that one almost forgets that The Kite Runner is a novel and not a memoir. At a time when Afghanistan has been thrust into the forefront of America's collective consciousness ("people sipping lattes at Starbucks were talking about the battle for Kunduz"), Hosseini offers an honest, sometimes tragic, sometimes funny, but always heartfelt view of a fascinating land. Perhaps the only true flaw in this extraordinary novel is that it ends all too soon.

This is officiailly my favorite book of 2008. This book is a truly amazing must read. Not only was the storyline and characters good but you learn so much about the people and culture in Afghanistan. After I read the book I found myself googling different stuff about Afghanistan. I even looked at their village on Google Earth. maryluvs_laughing.gif
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Mary Poppins
Posted: Aug 12 2008, 11:24 AM
Quote Post

Confessed Shopaholic

QUOTE (Jefferson St. Joe @ Aug 11 2008, 08:43 AM)
This is officiailly my favorite book of 2008. This book is a truly amazing must read. Not only was the storyline and characters good but you learn so much about the people and culture in Afghanistan. After I read the book I found myself googling different stuff about Afghanistan. I even looked at their village on Google Earth. maryluvs_laughing.gif

Wow, really? I may have to check this one out. maryluvs_hmm.gif

-------~~~~--------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
electric boy
Posted: Aug 12 2008, 01:46 PM
Quote Post

Senior

QUOTE (Jefferson St. Joe @ Aug 11 2008, 08:43 AM)
user posted image
In his debut novel, The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini accomplishes what very few contemporary novelists are able to do. He manages to provide an educational and eye-opening account of a country's political turmoil--in this case, Afghanistan--while also developing characters whose heartbreaking struggles and emotional triumphs resonate with readers long after the last page has been turned over. And he does this on his first try.
The Kite Runner follows the story of Amir, the privileged son of a wealthy businessman in Kabul, and Hassan, the son of Amir's father's servant. As children in the relatively stable Afghanistan of the early 1970s, the boys are inseparable. They spend idyllic days running kites and telling stories of mystical places and powerful warriors until an unspeakable event changes the nature of their relationship forever, and eventually cements their bond in ways neither boy could have ever predicted. Even after Amir and his father flee to America, Amir remains haunted by his cowardly actions and disloyalty. In part, it is these demons and the sometimes impossible quest for forgiveness that bring him back to his war-torn native land after it comes under Taliban rule. ("...I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded, not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night.")

Some of the plot's turns and twists may be somewhat implausible, but Hosseini has created characters that seem so real that one almost forgets that The Kite Runner is a novel and not a memoir. At a time when Afghanistan has been thrust into the forefront of America's collective consciousness ("people sipping lattes at Starbucks were talking about the battle for Kunduz"), Hosseini offers an honest, sometimes tragic, sometimes funny, but always heartfelt view of a fascinating land. Perhaps the only true flaw in this extraordinary novel is that it ends all too soon.

I'm reading this next. maryluvs_thumbup.gif

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMSN
Rhapsody In Blue
Posted: Aug 13 2008, 03:24 PM
Quote Post

H A R L E P O L I S

Member No.: 54

I'm reading this for the 1st time....

user posted image

Just WHOA!

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: (5) 1 2 [3] 4 5  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Google

Web maryluvs.clicdev.com
Skin By L!th!uM sur PlanetGrafiK
Web Statistics