Skin Invision By L!th!uM

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> What is on your TBR list for 2009?
Jefferson St. Joe
  Posted: Jan 5 2009, 11:01 AM
Quote Post

Are U Ready to Rock with the Queen of Hip Hop?

Group: Members
Member Inventory: View

Member No.: 4

What books do you have on your To Be Read list for 2009?
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Mary Poppins
Posted: Jan 5 2009, 12:30 PM
Quote Post

Confessed Shopaholic

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 14

I have so many books on my bookshelf to read it's not even funny.

I would like to get the two books by Barack Obama this year.

I'm currently reading this:

user posted image

Playing off her bestselling Texas series (Texas Sunrise, 1992, etc.), Michaels ventures into a Vegas trilogy that introduces the Thornton dynasty but also revives the Coleman family of the Texas books. The new saga begins in 1923, when Sallie Coleman, saloon singer and prostitute, inherits a fortune from an eccentric millionaire. Determined to acquire polish and breeding, Sallie moves into her benefactor's mansion and hires Philip Thornton, a handsome tutor whom she eventually marries. The birth of Sallie's first son, Ash, is quickly followed by the arrival of her second, Simon, with whom she forms a deep bond that eventually pits the boys against one another. Before then, however, Philip's distaste for his wife's vigorous sexuality has propelled Sallie into a love affair with attorney Devin Rollins that's destined to last for decades. After Philip suffers a massive stroke, Sallie assumes responsibility for his care, losing her dream of someday marrying her lover. Meanwhile, her sons wage a rivalry that culminates when Ash's wife falls in love with Simon. Further plot bumps will keep readers on their toes, including a severe accident and the building of a palatial gambling hall. Michaels isn't a master stylist ("You don't know me at all, Ash. I'm not that stupid, starry-eyed girl you married 30 years ago"), but her characters are well constructed, with appropriately dysfunctional flaws, and she lays on enough melodrama to please a J.R. Ewing or Alexis Carrington. Major ad/promo; author tour.
Copyright 1996 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

[B]***Ok, I just copied this from Amazon and now I'm mad that I read it because it just gave away an affair and serious health aliment that I knew nothing about.
dry.gif

[/b]

-------~~~~--------
Follow me on Twitter @ShopaholicIAM
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Jefferson St. Joe
Posted: Jan 5 2009, 04:25 PM
Quote Post

maryluvs_hmm.gif so you are one of those people who buys a bunch a books put them on the shelf and eventually goes back and reads them?
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Mary Poppins
Posted: Jan 5 2009, 06:42 PM
Quote Post

Confessed Shopaholic

QUOTE (Jefferson St. Joe @ Jan 5 2009, 03:15 PM)
maryluvs_hmm.gif so you are one of those people who buys a bunch a books put them on the shelf and eventually goes back and reads them?

Yeah... maryluvs_ph34r.gif

Most of the books I've been reading recently, I bought back in 2001. maryluvs_ph34r.gif maryluvs_ph34r.gif

-------~~~~--------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Wee Tony
Posted: Jan 7 2009, 10:46 AM
Quote Post

Punching above his weight

Member No.: 461

user posted image

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duck-That-Won-Lott...31338380&sr=8-1

Been waiting patiently on his book coming out, but not gotten round to buying it yet... unsure.gif

-------~~~~--------
QUOTE (John Lennon)
Free yourselves
PMEmail PosterMSN
The Negro Spirit
Posted: Jan 7 2009, 10:52 AM
Quote Post

Senior

Member No.: 2652

user posted image

Just bought this last friday. The Making of Soul Music Masterpiece maryluvs_thumbup.gif
PMEmail Poster
Rhapsody In Blue
Posted: Jan 7 2009, 11:48 AM
Quote Post

H A R L E P O L I S

Member No.: 54

I remember reading afew pages from a site I 4got not so long ago, quite intersting. Donald Bogle is the same guy who made the Brown Sugar documentary/book. Anybody who's intersted in vintage black female actresses' history in Hollywood, Mr.Bogle is the way to go.

user posted image

In Bright Boulevards, Bold Dreams, Donald Bogle tells–for the first time–the story of a place both mythic and real: Black Hollywood. Spanning sixty years, this deliciously entertaining history uncovers the audacious manner in which many blacks made a place for themselves in an industry that originally had no place for them.

Through interviews and the personal recollections of Hollywood luminaries, Bogle pieces together a remarkable history that remains largely obscure to this day. We discover that Black Hollywood was a place distinct from the studio-system-dominated Tinseltown–a world unto itself, with unique rules and social hierarchy. It had its own talent scouts and media, its own watering holes, elegant hotels, and fashionable nightspots, and of course its own glamorous and brilliant personalities.

Along with famous actors including Bill “Bojangles” Robinson, Hattie McDaniel (whose home was among Hollywood’s most exquisite), and, later, the stunningly beautiful Lena Horne and the fabulously gifted Sammy Davis, Jr., we meet the likes of heartthrob James Edwards, whose promising career was derailed by whispers of an affair with Lana Turner, and the mysterious Madame Sul-Te-Wan, who shared a close lifelong friendship with pioneering director D. W. Griffith. But Bogle also looks at other members of the black community–from the white stars’ black servants, who had their own money and prestige, to gossip columnists, hairstylists, and architects–and at the world that grew up around them along Central Avenue, the Harlem of the West.

In the tradition of Hortense Powdermaker’s classic Hollywood: The DreamFactory and Neal Gabler’s An Empire of Their Own, in Bright Boulevards, Bold Dreams, Donald Bogle re-creates a vanished world that left an indelible mark on Hollywood–and on all of America.

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Jefferson St. Joe
Posted: Jan 8 2009, 11:15 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Jacqueline Monique Smith @ Jan 5 2009, 06:32 PM)

Most of the books I've been reading recently, I bought back in 2001. maryluvs_ph34r.gif maryluvs_ph34r.gif

LOL you are one of those people. That would drive me crazy to see a bunch of books sitting around that i haven't read. I usually only buy one maybe two books at a time. I'm always anxious to read them.
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Mary Poppins
Posted: Jan 8 2009, 03:59 PM
Quote Post

Confessed Shopaholic

QUOTE (Jefferson St. Joe @ Jan 8 2009, 10:05 AM)

Most of the books I've been reading recently, I bought back in 2001.  maryluvs_ph34r.gif  maryluvs_ph34r.gif

LOL you are one of those people. That would drive me crazy to see a bunch of books sitting around that i haven't read. I usually only buy one maybe two books at a time. I'm always anxious to read them.

This is what I need to learn. I tend to buy several books at a time but I'm getting better. I haven't bought a book in awhile.

-------~~~~--------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Jefferson St. Joe
Posted: Jan 9 2009, 11:07 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Jacqueline Monique Smith @ Jan 8 2009, 03:49 PM)

Most of the books I've been reading recently, I bought back in 2001.  maryluvs_ph34r.gif  maryluvs_ph34r.gif

This is what I need to learn. I tend to buy several books at a time but I'm getting better. I haven't bought a book in awhile.

If I bought a bunch of books at one time I would be less likely to finish a book if it started to drag.

I always feel obligated to finish any book that I start. If I had other new books waiting to be read I would probably give up on the current book and move onto the next. I'm guessing that is what you do lol?
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Mary Poppins
Posted: Jan 9 2009, 01:19 PM
Quote Post

Confessed Shopaholic

QUOTE (Jefferson St. Joe @ Jan 9 2009, 09:57 AM)
QUOTE (Jacqueline Monique Smith @ Jan 8 2009, 03:49 PM)

If I bought a bunch of books at one time I would be less likely to finish a book if it started to drag.

I always feel obligated to finish any book that I start. If I had other new books waiting to be read I would probably give up on the current book and move onto the next. I'm guessing that is what you do lol?

Not really. It's rare that I start a book and not finish it. Typically, if I can't get into a book by page 100, I'll put it down, but that's rare. Usually, I'll try and stick it out, but it takes longer to finish it because I'm not as eager to pick it up.

-------~~~~--------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Mary Poppins
Posted: Feb 18 2009, 10:53 AM
Quote Post

Confessed Shopaholic

Started this a month ago but only read the first chapter. I picked it up again to finish reading it:

user posted image

The insider whose warnings about terrorism on U.S. soil went unheeded-and whose book Against All Enemies rocketed to the top of bestseller lists-now presents his first novel: an all-too-believable story of politics, oil, espionage, and the earthshaking consequences that may lie at the end of the road ahead.

-------~~~~--------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Mary Poppins
Posted: Feb 24 2009, 11:48 AM
Quote Post

Confessed Shopaholic

I had to can the Scorpion's Gate book. I couldn't get pass page 35 to save my life. I've now moved on to this:

user posted image

Fans of Hardy's stereotype-breaking B-Boy Blues (1994) will welcome this sequel, not least because it picks up where B-Boy left off, with gentle, educated, conventional-English-speaking, upper-middle-class Mitchell and his homeboy lover Raheim, whose family doesn't know he's gay, who speaks rappish black English yet is well read and wants to be a good father to his son, Junior. Mitchell is still writing freelance, Raheim is making it big-time as a model, and Junior still worships his daddy. The plot unfolds a little less quickly this time, but Hardy continues to astonish in such moving scenes as Mitchell's meeting with Raheim's mother and former wife. Equally important are the revelations Hardy affords of the reluctance with which two black socioeconomic classes come together and of the gap between the black gay and straight worlds. These concerns in Hardy's fiction elevate it from the level of mere entertainment to that of the work of such classic socially critical American novelists as Sinclair Lewis.

-------~~~~--------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Rhapsody In Blue
Posted: Mar 2 2009, 11:33 AM
Quote Post

H A R L E P O L I S

user posted image

Born to a Jewish father and black mother who divorce before she is two, Oreo grows up in Philadelphia with her maternal grandparents while her mother tours with a theatrical troupe. Soon after puberty, Oreo heads for New York with a pack on her back to search for her father; but in the big city she discovers that there are dozens of Sam Schwartzes in the phone book, and Oreo's mission turns into a wickedly humorous picaresque quest. The ambitious and playful narrative challenges accepted notions of race, ethnicity, culture, and even the novelistic form itself.

She wrote material for Richard Pryor too.

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Mary Poppins
Posted: Mar 13 2009, 12:02 PM
Quote Post

Confessed Shopaholic

user posted image

This book contains Carrie, Salem's Lot, and The Shining. I just started Carrie. maryluvs_clapping.gif

-------~~~~--------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
SexySapphire
Posted: Mar 15 2009, 06:01 PM
Quote Post

Senior

Member No.: 490

I have several books I'm reading at one time.

But the main one I'm focusing on right now is a book called Fishing With John by Edith Iglauer.

It's about a journalist (Edith Iglauer) who used to write for The New Yorker magazine and other outlets. She goes to Canada and falls in love with a commerical salmon fisherman, John Daly.

Theirs seems like such a beautiful love story.

Fishing With John was also turned into a Lifetime Television Movie, called Navigating The Heart.

-------~~~~--------
Site Administrator
The Ultimate Jodeci Message Board
http://jodecitalk.proboards37.com

Since 2004, the premiere online place for all Jodeci fans: lively discussion, archived articles, trivia, photos, etc.

Daily Motion:
http://dailymotion.com/ultimatejodeci

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/ladybird4jodeci

Instagram: womanofgrace

Facebook: Ladybird Lb

Your Listen: http://yourlisten.com/user/public/ladybird

user posted image

user posted image

SUPPORT AL B. SURE & HIS NEW CD HONEY I'M HOME! BRINGING ROMANCE & RESPECT BACK TO MUSIC W/ HIS NEW CD HONEY I'M HOME, IN STORES NOW! DEBUTED AT # 2 ON THE iTUNES R&B CHART. AFTER 17 YEARS AWAY, YES, HE DID THAT!

"When an artist delivers an album after more than a decade on hiatus, fans listen closely for the music they fell in love with and cynics listen closely for a deafening flop. In the case of Al B. Sure!, fans win out." (From an Associated Press review of Honey I'm Home)
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
electric boy
Posted: Mar 22 2009, 02:32 PM
Quote Post

Senior

Member No.: 612

I just started this book:

user posted image

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMSN
electric boy
Posted: Apr 24 2009, 09:00 AM
Quote Post

Senior

This book is so sad maryluvs_bye2.gif

user posted image

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMSN
electric boy
Posted: Apr 24 2009, 09:01 AM
Quote Post

Senior

QUOTE (ReekO @ Jan 7 2009, 09:42 AM)
user posted image

Just bought this last friday. The Making of Soul Music Masterpiece maryluvs_thumbup.gif

So how was it?

I can't find that book anywhere maryluvs_sad.gif
But I just finished the "Queen Of Soul" biography and it was a nice read.

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMSN
Rhapsody In Blue
Posted: Apr 24 2009, 09:11 AM
Quote Post

H A R L E P O L I S

My 1st attempt to read a black comic fiction...

user posted image

Trey Ellis's playful, irreverent, and uproariously funny debut novel Platitudes, first published in 1988, takes on conflicts within the African American literary community. Dewayne Wellington, a failing black experimental novelist, and Isshee Ayam, a radical feminist author, collaborate on Dewayne's latest sexist comedy. Alternately telling the story about the coming of age of Earle and Dorothy—two black middle-class teenagers, sex-starved in New York City—the battling writers sneak ever, and dangerously, closer to reconciling their literary disputes.

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Google

Web maryluvs.clicdev.com
Skin By L!th!uM sur PlanetGrafiK
Web Statistics