Skin Invision By L!th!uM

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Jesse Jackson apologizes for Obama remarks
SexySapphire
Posted: Jul 9 2008, 10:45 PM
Quote Post

Senior

Group: Members
Member Inventory: View

Member No.: 490

Too bad Jesse Jackson is being such a coward on this. While he was wrong to say "I wanna cut his n--- off," I think he was absolutely right about Obama talking down to Black folks, and he should NOT apologize to Obama for that.

Jackson apologizes for comments on Obama
Civil rights leader 'very sorry' for crude aside made before interview

NBC News and news services
updated 1 hour, 25 minutes ago
CHICAGO - The Rev. Jesse Jackson apologized Wednesday for "regretfully crude" comments he made about Barack Obama's speeches in black churches, during what he thought was a private conversation.

Fox News broadcast Jackson’s remarks on "The O’Reilly Factor" Wednesday night. Jackson, speaking to Reid Tuckson, an executive vice president at United Health Group, as both men were about to be interviewed on "Fox & Friends" on Sunday, criticized Obama and said, "I wanna cut his n--- off."

"He's talking down to black people," Jackson told Tuckson.

Hours before Fox aired Jackson's comments, Jackson told CNN they were in response to a question from a Fox News reporter about speeches on morality by Obama. He said Obama’s speeches “can come off as speaking down to black people” and that there were other important issues to be addressed in the black community, such as unemployment, the mortgage crisis and the number of blacks in prison.

“And then I said something I thought regretfully crude but it was very private and very much a sound bite and a live mic,” Jackson told CNN. He said he was not aware the microphone was still on.

Jackson told The Associated Press he didn't remember “exactly” what he said but that he was “very sorry.”

“For any harm or hurt that this hot mic private conversation may have caused, I apologize,” Jackson said in a written statement. “My support for Senator Obama’s campaign is wide, deep and unequivocal.”

Jackson said he called Obama’s campaign to apologize.

Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton noted that the Illinois senator grew up without his father and has spoken and written at length about the issues of parental responsibility and fathers participating in their children’s lives, and of society’s obligation to provide “jobs, justice and opportunity for all.

“He will continue to speak out about our responsibilities to ourselves and each other, and he of course accepts Reverend Jackson’s apology,” Burton said.

Jackson criticized by his son
Though Jackson is supporting Obama, the two are not close.

Jackson even took heat from his own son, U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., for writing a column last year questioning the commitment of Obama and other Democratic presidential candidates to the needs of black voters. Jackson Jr. wrote a response in The Chicago Sun-Times with the headline, "You're wrong on Obama, Dad."

He has also released his own statement regarding the elder Jackson's comments on Sunday.

"I'm deeply outraged and disappointed in Rev. Jackson's reckless statements about Sen. Barack Obama," said the younger Jackson.

His divisive and demeaning comments about the presumptive Democratic nominee — and I believe the next president of the United States — contradict his inspiring and courageous career."

Jackson is the third Chicago pastor to create problems for Obama on the campaign trail.

In March, a videotape of Obama's longtime former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr., created a political firestorm in the primaries. On the tape, Wright accused the U.S. government of creating AIDS and is seen shouting "God damn America" during a sermon at Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago.

In May, Roman Catholic priest the Rev. Michael Pfleger mocked Obama's then Democratic rival Sen. Hillary Clinton during a guest sermon at Obama's former church, from which Obama has since resigned. Pfleger, who is white, pretended he was Clinton crying over "a black man stealing my show."

The comments about Obama are not the first Jackson has had to explain after believing he was off the record.

In 1984, he called New York City "Hymietown," referring to the city's large Jewish population. He later acknowledged it was the wrong to use the term, but said he did so in private to a reporter.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25611808/

-------~~~~--------
Site Administrator
The Ultimate Jodeci Message Board
http://jodecitalk.proboards37.com

Since 2004, the premiere online place for all Jodeci fans: lively discussion, archived articles, trivia, photos, etc.

Daily Motion:
http://dailymotion.com/ultimatejodeci

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/ladybird4jodeci

Instagram: womanofgrace

Facebook: Ladybird Lb

Your Listen: http://yourlisten.com/user/public/ladybird

user posted image

user posted image

SUPPORT AL B. SURE & HIS NEW CD HONEY I'M HOME! BRINGING ROMANCE & RESPECT BACK TO MUSIC W/ HIS NEW CD HONEY I'M HOME, IN STORES NOW! DEBUTED AT # 2 ON THE iTUNES R&B CHART. AFTER 17 YEARS AWAY, YES, HE DID THAT!

"When an artist delivers an album after more than a decade on hiatus, fans listen closely for the music they fell in love with and cynics listen closely for a deafening flop. In the case of Al B. Sure!, fans win out." (From an Associated Press review of Honey I'm Home)
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
Gymnatic
Posted: Jul 10 2008, 02:22 AM
Quote Post

Hate it or love it... the Cake is BACK b*tches!

Group: Validating

Member No.: 159

maryluvs_giggle.gif

-------~~~~--------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
She's back! New Album "Human" 12/9/08!
Manny's Bet
Will it pass #23?? Lets see.... 8/24/08
user posted image
user posted image
Daydreaming bout how others just can't compare
PMEmail PosterAOL
Mary Poppins
Posted: Jul 10 2008, 02:02 PM
Quote Post

Confessed Shopaholic

Group: Moderator

Member No.: 14

QUOTE (SexySapphire @ Jul 9 2008, 09:45 PM)
Too bad Jesse Jackson is being such a coward on this.  While he was wrong to say "I wanna cut his n--- off," I think he was absolutely right about Obama talking down to Black folks, and he should NOT apologize to Obama for that.

I don't think he should've apologized either. Not because Obama WAS maryluvs_quote.gif talking down maryluvs_quote.gif to black people, but for someone to make such a statement about another person and then want to retract it when they get caught, annoys me.

He should've took the Bill Cosby route, owned it, and stood by his statement, if he really feels that way.

-------~~~~--------
Follow me on Twitter @ShopaholicIAM
PMEmail PosterYahoo
(Un)Binding Ties
Posted: Jul 10 2008, 03:03 PM
Quote Post

Christians Ain't Got No Copyright On God!

Member No.: 92

anybody else curious what exactly the particular soundbite was that JJ said? The fact that all these media outlets are reporting on his "regretfully crude" statement, but not quoting it makes me wanna know what he said even more... maryluvs_snack.gif

edit: "I wanna cut his Nuts off?"

oh my...

:: clutches pearls ::

-------~~~~--------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Wee Tony
Posted: Jul 10 2008, 03:08 PM
Quote Post

Punching above his weight

Member No.: 461

What's JJ like?
We don't get much coverage of him over here, but anytime we do, he seems like a pain in the ass - always courting controversy.

-------~~~~--------
QUOTE (John Lennon)
Free yourselves
PMEmail PosterMSN
(Un)Binding Ties
Posted: Jul 10 2008, 03:55 PM
Quote Post

Christians Ain't Got No Copyright On God!

Member No.: 92

QUOTE (Wee Tony @ Jul 10 2008, 02:08 PM)
What's JJ like?
We don't get much coverage of him over here, but anytime we do, he seems like a pain in the ass - always courting controversy.

Jesse Jackson is riding on the fumes of his civil rights-era association with Dr. MLK, Jr... IMO, he's spent any of the political capital/influence he had acculumulated by his affiliation with MLK... he is no longer relevant to mainstream politics and/or social activism... for the last couple of decades, he's maintained his celebrity status by being a shock/controversy monger IMHO... much in the same vein as Al Sharpton... those 2 are like flip sides of the same 2-cent piece...

-------~~~~--------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Mary Poppins
Posted: Jul 10 2008, 06:35 PM
Quote Post

Confessed Shopaholic

QUOTE (Wanderlusting @ Jul 10 2008, 02:55 PM)
QUOTE (Wee Tony @ Jul 10 2008, 02:08 PM)
What's JJ like?

Jesse Jackson is riding on the fumes of his civil rights-era association with Dr. MLK, Jr... IMO, he's spent any of the political capital/influence he had acculumulated by his affiliation with MLK... he is no longer relevant to mainstream politics and/or social activism... for the last couple of decades, he's maintained his celebrity status by being a shock/controversy monger IMHO... much in the same vein as Al Sharpton... those 2 are like flip sides of the same 2-cent piece...

When The Man is One of Us
user posted image
By Jack White | TheRoot.com
Sure, Jesse is an old fool who doesn't know how to act. But his latest gaffe shows how none of us is really ready for this moment.

July 10, 2008--On one level, it is easy to dismiss the Rev. Jesse Jackson Sr.'s crudely worded metaphorical threat to castrate Barack Obama for supposedly talking down to black people as the raving of an increasingly irrelevant, former big shot suffused with resentment at the rising star who pushed him off stage. maryluvs_cold.gif

That, after all, is the sort of talk we'd expect from a lynch mob, not a civil rights leader who does not seem to realize that the times have passed him by. Even his son and namesake, Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., agrees that his dad is doing more harm these days than good. Pronouncing himself outraged and disappointed by his father's ugly words about Obama, Jackson Jr. issued a statement that, in effect, ordered dear old dad to "keep hope alive" and shut up. maryluvs_cold.gif

That's good advice, and one can only hope that Jackson Sr. accepts it. But in a deeper sense, his stunningly inappropriate comments symbolize the social, political and psychological vertigo that all of us, and especially black Americans, are experiencing because of Obama's success. We are all, including Obama, in a place we never really thought we would be, and it has knocked us off our feet. We don't know how to act. We don't have a plan. We're searching for our equilibrium. And until we regain our footing, we can expect all sorts of bizarre behavior from people who ought to know better. Hold on to your hat.

We haven't really been in a place this confusing since 1954, when the NAACP's crusade against segregation culminated in the Brown vs. Board decision and the walls came tumbling down. It's fair to say that we were so focused on winning that fight that we weren't prepared for the victory or its aftermath. We've spent nearly 60 years since then trying to figure out what kind of relationship we want to have with America and with each other. For the most part, we, like Jackson Sr., have seen ourselves as outsiders battling for justice and a seat at the table. Our default has been to protest. And while that mindset has served us well, it has, in a flash, been made damn near obsolete by the prospect, even the likelihood, that one of us may soon become the most powerful man in the world. If that happens, how can we seriously argue that we're being held back by anything but the limits we place on ourselves?

That, it seems to me, accounts in part for the frustration some of us are feeling by what we interpret as Obama's move to the center. We are simply not accustomed to one of our own playing real, power politics. Some of us see his call for an expansion of George Bush's half-hearted commitment to faith-based social programs as mere politics, what Jackson Sr. castigated as "talking down to black people." We explain Obama's support for the compromise Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act and the Supreme Court's upholding of a citizen's right to bear arms as attempts to inoculate himself against Republican attacks.

And, of course, they are.

But they, like Obama's Father's Day speech urging black men to take more responsibility for their children, are more than political posturing. They represent the first stirrings of a new consensus that places more emphasis on a public discussion of personal responsibility than on protest, on publicly delving into our own shortcomings and dysfunctional behavior.

There's nothing new about this kind of self-examination, but in the past we've conducted it mainly in private, in barbershops and beauty parlors, and churches. We've bristled when whites in power like Daniel Patrick Moynihan, joined in the critique of, for example, our soaring rate of out-of-wedlock births. We've moaned about the negative consequences of washing dirty laundry in public. But such a self-protective mindset no longer makes sense because Obama is one of us, who has taken part in our private handwringing about the self-inflicted wounds that bedevil segments of the black community. He hasn't said anything most of us haven't heard or said at the dinner table. But now, because Obama is who he is, the whole world is listening in to the conversation.

The attention makes us uncomfortable and disoriented. So does the prospect that one of us might soon be in charge of trying to fix this mess instead of simply complaining about it.

We're not really ready for the day when The Man becomes a black man.

It's a dizzying idea that is going to take some getting used to. And until we do, we'll stumble about, like Jesse Jackson Sr., saying all kinds of crazy things as we slip and slide on the new paradigm.

Link

maryluvs_cold.gif

-------~~~~--------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
No One Will Do
Posted: Jul 10 2008, 07:56 PM
Quote Post

Kiki-**Certified Party Planner**

Member No.: 32

QUOTE (Wanderlusting @ Jul 10 2008, 02:03 PM)
anybody else curious what exactly the particular soundbite was that JJ said? The fact that all these media outlets are reporting on his "regretfully crude" statement, but not quoting it makes me wanna know what he said even more...  maryluvs_snack.gif

edit: "I wanna cut his Nuts off?"

oh my...

::  clutches pearls  ::

-------~~~~--------
user posted image

"Sincerity"
Mary J. Blige feat. Nas & DMX - Sincerity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmsIliDu4qE
user posted image [/color]

user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
Luchiano
Posted: Jul 11 2008, 12:12 AM
Quote Post

The end of an era

Member No.: 70

I'm not mad@ him or his statement. That's his opinion.. It's just unfortunate the cameras were still rollin'.

-------~~~~--------
The end of an era...
PMEmail Poster
Code Orange
Posted: Jul 11 2008, 01:01 AM
Quote Post

**Always here, just quiet**

Member No.: 107

maryluvs_giggle.gif The late night peeps are eating this up.
PM
caramelpfe
Posted: Jul 11 2008, 08:03 AM
Quote Post

Right About This Time . . . I Feel The Need To Hold You Close

Member No.: 1162

QUOTE (Code Orange @ Jul 11 2008, 12:01 AM)

i can just imagine they are having a field day with this, i saw the clip for the 1st time last night & was cringing with embarrassment for jesse, all your years have hard work can be wiped out in just a few seconds maryluvs_ph34r.gif

-------~~~~--------
user posted image

Life has a way of making you live it, sometimes take or you'll be giving it. Do you fold or do you play on................ The next move always depends on YOU

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
Gemini
Posted: Jul 11 2008, 10:46 AM
Quote Post

The night is on my mind...

Group: Admin

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (SexySapphire @ Jul 9 2008, 10:45 PM)
Too bad Jesse Jackson is being such a coward on this.  While he was wrong to say "I wanna cut his n--- off," I think he was absolutely right about Obama talking down to Black folks, and he should NOT apologize to Obama for that.

What was it in Obama's speech that makes you think he was talking down to black people?

And Jesse makes me sick. Only apologizing because he was caught. He's a hypocrite because he was standing behind Bill Cosby when he went on his rants about the black community. Now all of a sudden he feels differently because it's Barack. I think a little jealousy is involved. Such a shame.

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PMUsers Website
IZthe411
Posted: Jul 11 2008, 11:23 AM
Quote Post

Time For Change

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Gemini @ Jul 11 2008, 09:46 AM)
I think a little jealousy is involved. Such a shame.

It's definitely jealousy, and this is one of the few things that popped into my head as I read this.

This writer highlights some truths about blacks in general. Two that stand out to me are:

1)- The "crabs in the barrel" mentality that Jesse Jackson seems to have towards Obama. It permeates our society. When it comes to doing things differently, especially when that difference would mean improvement, unless it's them personally, no one wants another to rise, so they look for ways to keep others down. There's the pressure to keep it real, stay hood, don't forget your homies on the block. This mentality has held a lot of young blacks from reaching their full potential, instead opting down the path that has resulted in so much life lost at an early age.

2) Blame the White man for everything mentality. Like this writer stated- it's time to not only shame how we tend to act, it's also time to take some action. Some blacks seem to fall back on the slave days and past disadvantages. There's opportunity out there, and most of the time it is our own fault for not taking advantage of them. It's true that racism still exists, there are still places and industries where blacks still have not broken the glass ceiling, but it's no excuse to sit back and do NOTHING.

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Mary Poppins
Posted: Jul 11 2008, 04:11 PM
Quote Post

Confessed Shopaholic

QUOTE (Code Orange @ Jul 11 2008, 12:01 AM)

I don't usually watch SNL but you KNOW they're spoofing this come tomorrow night. maryluvs_uptosomething.gif

-------~~~~--------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Mary Poppins
Posted: Jul 11 2008, 04:14 PM
Quote Post

Confessed Shopaholic

QUOTE (Gemini @ Jul 11 2008, 09:46 AM)
What was it in Obama's speech that makes you think he was talking down to black people?

And Jesse makes me sick. Only apologizing because he was caught. He's a hypocrite because he was standing behind Bill Cosby when he went on his rants about the black community. Now all of a sudden he feels differently because it's Barack. I think a little jealousy is involved. Such a shame.

That's my point exactly. Not only Jesse but these other pundits who want to apologize when they are caught. If that's how you feel, than OWN it!

Jesse's jock strap was only in a bunch because Obama's comment probably hit too close to home for him.
maryluvs_coffee2.gif

-------~~~~--------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
SexySapphire
Posted: Jul 11 2008, 10:00 PM
Quote Post

Senior

QUOTE (Gemini @ Jul 11 2008, 10:46 AM)

The fact that he only told one side of the story: the Black fathers who are MIA and not doing their job. That's the problem I had with his speech on Black fathers.

Listening to his speech, you would have thought that no Black fathers are doing what they are supposed to do. I think it would have been a more effective speech, had he told both sides of the story, and also taken the time to mention the fathers out there who are doing an outstanding job.

But to tell only one side, just made it look like he was stereotyping every Black father, and talking down to the entire Black race.

Most of the Black fathers I know don't need lectures from Barack Obama about being a father. Heck, someone could call into question Barack's own parenting skills, being as though he's putting his own minor daughters out there for public consumption. That Access Hollywood interview his daughters just did, wasn't the first time he put his daughters out there for his political gain. I remember one of them standing up at a rally going "Vote for my daddy" or something like that.

And I don't think Rev. Jackson is jealous of Obama. Sadly, he's wholeheartedly supported him. I remember at Tavis Smiley's annual State of the Black Union this year, he was on the panel and he said "It's Obama time." And Tavis Smiley had to kindly remind him that the purpose of the forum was not to be endorsing candidates.

So for people to now assert that he's some hater or jealous of Obama, is ridiculous when he's done nothing but blindly support him this entire campaign.

I just think it's a shame that he's backtracking from his comment that Obama talks down to Black people. If that's what he feels, then stand by that.

-------~~~~--------
Site Administrator

Since 2004, the premiere online place for all Jodeci fans: lively discussion, archived articles, trivia, photos, etc.

Daily Motion:

Twitter:

user posted image

user posted image

SUPPORT AL B. SURE & HIS NEW CD HONEY I'M HOME! BRINGING ROMANCE & RESPECT BACK TO MUSIC W/ HIS NEW CD HONEY I'M HOME, IN STORES NOW! DEBUTED AT # 2 ON THE iTUNES R&B CHART. AFTER 17 YEARS AWAY, YES, HE DID THAT!

"When an artist delivers an album after more than a decade on hiatus, fans listen closely for the music they fell in love with and cynics listen closely for a deafening flop. In the case of Al B. Sure!, fans win out." (From an Associated Press review of Honey I'm Home)
Code Orange
Posted: Jul 11 2008, 10:30 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (SexySapphire @ Jul 11 2008, 09:00 PM)

The fact that he only told one side of the story: the Black fathers who are MIA and not doing their job. That's the problem I had with his speech on Black fathers.

Listening to his speech, you would have thought that no Black fathers are doing what they are supposed to do. I think it would have been a more effective speech, had he told both sides of the story, and also taken the time to mention the fathers out there who are doing an outstanding job.

But to tell only one side, just made it look like he was stereotyping every Black father, and talking down to the entire Black race.

Most of the Black fathers I know don't need lectures from Barack Obama about being a father. Heck, someone could call into question Barack's own parenting skills, being as though he's putting his own minor daughters out there for public consumption. That Access Hollywood interview his daughters just did, wasn't the first time he put his daughters out there for his political gain. I remember one of them standing up at a rally going "Vote for my daddy" or something like that.

And I don't think Rev. Jackson is jealous of Obama. Sadly, he's wholeheartedly supported him. I remember at Tavis Smiley's annual State of the Black Union this year, he was on the panel and he said "It's Obama time." And Tavis Smiley had to kindly remind him that the purpose of the forum was not to be endorsing candidates.

So for people to now assert that he's some hater or jealous of Obama, is ridiculous when he's done nothing but blindly support him this entire campaign.

I just think it's a shame that he's backtracking from his comment that Obama talks down to Black people. If that's what he feels, then stand by that.

Not to be negative, but did the Clintons ever talked down to black people, which is what Jesse thinks Obama has done?

Although I don't care for his FISA vote and Obama isn't perfect, but he would be better than McCain, who could care less about Black America and women's issues.
PM
SexySapphire
Posted: Jul 11 2008, 10:57 PM
Quote Post

Senior

QUOTE (Code Orange @ Jul 11 2008, 10:30 PM)

Not to be negative, but did the Clintons ever talked down to black people, which is what Jesse thinks Obama has done?

Although I don't care for his FISA vote and Obama isn't perfect, but he would be better than McCain, who could care less about Black America and women's issues.

Well, just for the record, no, I don't believe the Clintons have "talked down" to Black people. If you have evidence to the contrary, show it.

And this is not about the Clintons. This is about Barack Obama, and the fact that he's trying to give a wink-wink, nod-nod to the White voters and essentially say to them 'See, I'm not afraid to take my people to task..'

Finally, with respec to your argument that Obama isn't perfect but would be better than McCain...I'm not willing to simply settle for the lesser of two evils. Obama presented himself to the American public as a different kind of politican, and so far, he isn't living up to that.

-------~~~~--------
Site Administrator

Daily Motion:

Twitter:

user posted image

user posted image

Wee Tony
Posted: Jul 11 2008, 11:36 PM
Quote Post

Punching above his weight

Member No.: 461

QUOTE (SexySapphire @ Jul 12 2008, 03:57 AM)

Finally, with respec to your argument that Obama isn't perfect but would be better than McCain...I'm not willing to simply settle for the lesser of two evils.

maryluvs_huhh.gif So you'll opt for the greater of two evils? maryluvs_confused1.gif

-------~~~~--------
QUOTE (John Lennon)
Free yourselves
PMEmail PosterMSN
Code Orange
Posted: Jul 12 2008, 12:30 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (SexySapphire @ Jul 11 2008, 09:57 PM)
QUOTE (Code Orange @ Jul 11 2008, 10:30 PM)

Well, just for the record, no, I don't believe the Clintons have "talked down" to Black people. If you have evidence to the contrary, show it.

And this is not about the Clintons. This is about Barack Obama, and the fact that he's trying to give a wink-wink, nod-nod to the White voters and essentially say to them 'See, I'm not afraid to take my people to task..'

Finally, with respec to your argument that Obama isn't perfect but would be better than McCain...I'm not willing to simply settle for the lesser of two evils. Obama presented himself to the American public as a different kind of politican, and so far, he isn't living up to that.

No, there isn't any evidence (although some will say South Carolina exposed them for who they are). You were a Hillary supporter, but some her supporters have had a change of heart since her concession and don't mind supporting Obama, and, he's helping her pay off her campaign debt.

If he isn't doing much then why is he leading McCain in states that are either toss up or have a chance voting Democratic this year (i.e. New Mexico, Colorado, Iowa, Missouri, etc)? But if you feel that the greater of two evils (McCain) will do more to help Black America than one of your own, so be it.
PM

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Google

Web maryluvs.clicdev.com
Skin By L!th!uM sur PlanetGrafiK
Web Statistics