Posted: Dec 18 2017, 02:45 PM
Quote Post

Senior

Group: Members
Member Inventory: View

Member No.: 3119

-------~~~~--------
user posted image

Follow Me on Twitter: @9thWonderofPR and visit me on https://www.facebook.com/JourneyContinuesII
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
seraphim
Posted: Dec 18 2017, 04:26 PM
Quote Post

Put it down like that... Watch me!

Member No.: 587

I give people this album when they say, "Mary can't sing." On this album, she sung so beautifully. I'll admit, when my pre-order downloaded that day on my iTunes and I transfered the album to my iPod (remember those?) I was taken a back. I kept saying, "this is gonna flop." But after riding with the album back to school, it started to click with me. I was expecting another 'Breakthrough' album because if its broke, why fix it? But I'm glad she went into the more pop route.

"Fade Away" is such a stunning song. The production, the vocals... its literally a thunderstorm musically. Don't even get me started on "Hurt Again", "Talk to Me", "Smoke" and the bonus track "Hello, It's Me."

To me, this is Mary vocally at her finest. Yeah the big money note at the end of 'Be Without You' and the Aretha like vocal acrobats on 'I Found My Everything' from The Breakthrough were all good but Mary's voice had such much character to it on Growing Pains. It was girly and fun (Shakedown), it was embolden and brash (Nowhere Fast & Roses), it was so small and timid that it was child like (Smoke) and then it bloomed in this big expression on certain songs (Til the Morning/Come to Me).

A modern masterpiece. Shame that they didn't really work this album like they should have.

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PM
tptrinity
Posted: Dec 18 2017, 06:24 PM
Quote Post

Senior

Member No.: 936

GREAT album! And yes...people I know who thought Mary can't sing thought she was singing on here. Its aged so well too
PMEmail Poster
Big De_Weav
Posted: Dec 19 2017, 09:47 AM
Quote Post

Senior

Member No.: 1968

I still can't watch the target DVD cuz of how pissed off I am at that X. I remember when just fine and work that came out. a lot of people on here were iffy about them two songs being the first two singles. then we had the singles changes were one minute it was work that then it was hurt again and then it was stay down and people were upset about the stay down video and the poor promotion of stay down. I remember when people said work that is Take Me As I Am part 2. I was listening to this album yesterday and I had chills up my spine forgetting how Mary's albums used to do to me. Songs like hurt again, nowhere fast, Rose, fade away, fade away, talk to me, what love is, smoke take on a new meaning nowadays with what's going on in Mary's life. I still love the just fine remix and when Mary did the chicken dance doing it live.

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
electric boy
Posted: Dec 19 2017, 10:53 AM
Quote Post

Senior

Member No.: 612

I love how she set the era off with "Just Fine" and "Work That". After the massive success and quality of The Breakthrough, these 2 singles had me so hyped for this album. I love how she went urban pop in a classy way and still stayed true to her own sound. This is Mary at her best for sure!!!

This album was full of hits waiting to happen! Urban radio would've at up Shake Down, Feel Like A Woman and Grown Woman. Come To Me and Fade Away would've been perfect for pop / international.

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMSN
electric boy
Posted: Dec 19 2017, 10:56 AM
Quote Post

Senior

My top 10 tracks:

1 Just Fine
2 Work That
3 Grown Woman feat. Ludacris
4 Roses
5 Nowhere Fast feat. Brook-Lynn
6 Smoke
7 Fade Away
8 What Love Is
9 Come To Me (Peace)
10 Hello It's Me

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMSN
The_Blueprint
Posted: Dec 19 2017, 12:10 PM
Quote Post

Senior

Member No.: 2587

QUOTE (electric boy @ Dec 19 2017, 09:53 AM)
I love how she set the era off with "Just Fine" and "Work That". After the massive success and quality of The Breakthrough, these 2 singles had me so hyped for this album. I love how she went urban pop in a classy way and still stayed true to her own sound. This is Mary at her best for sure!!!

This album was full of hits waiting to happen! Urban radio would've at up Shake Down, Feel Like A Woman and Grown Woman. Come To Me and Fade Away would've been perfect for pop / international.

Hell they did play some of those songs unofficially when the album dropped

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
The_Blueprint
Posted: Dec 20 2017, 01:17 PM
Quote Post

Senior

Member No.: 2587

Been revisiting this album the past few days....this album was big...at first...but ultimately was a huge missed opportunity and cost Mary a lot.

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Michelle Williams
Posted: Dec 21 2017, 09:34 AM
Quote Post

Senior

Member No.: 2576

One of her very best. So many great tracks on this album. They really missed a trick not promoting this album properly with all the potential singles it had on it.

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PM
electric boy
Posted: Dec 21 2017, 09:39 AM
Quote Post

Senior

I remember this debuting at #2 and rising to #1 the week after!

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMSN

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Google

Web maryluvs.clicdev.com
Skin By L!th!uM sur PlanetGrafiK
Web Statistics