> The Satanic Verses
Mary Poppins
Posted: Dec 1 2008, 03:36 PM
Quote Post

Confessed Shopaholic

Group: Moderator
Member Inventory: View

Member No.: 14

OK, I'm currently reading a book regardin 9/11 and got to a chapter about the government having prior knowledge abut the attacks. Anyway, it mentioned this Rushdie guy and how he was told not to fly becuase he has been the target of Muslim Extemeist over this book, The Satanic Verses.

Out of curiosity, I looked it up and wow....

user posted image

For the controversy over the novel by Salman Rushdie, see The Satanic Verses controversy.
For the verses known as "Satanic Verses", see Satanic Verses.
The Satanic Verses

Author Salman Rushdie
Country United Kingdom
Language English
Genre(s) Magic Realism, Novel
Publisher Viking Press
Publication date 1988
Media type Print (Hardback & Paperback)
Pages 546 pp
ISBN ISBN 0670825379
Followed by Haroun and the Sea of Stories

Sir Salman Rushdie, 2008The Satanic Verses is Salman Rushdie's fourth novel, first published in 1988 and inspired in part by the life of Muhammad. As with his previous books, Rushdie relied heavily on contemporary events and persons to create the characters in his book. The character of the chief protagonist of The Satanic Verses is based on that of the Indian film star Amitabh Bachchan.[1] The title refers to what are known as the satanic verses, a group of apocryphal Qur'an verses that allowed for prayers of intercession to be made to three Pagan Meccan goddesses: Allat, Uzza, and Manat.[2] The part of the story that deals with the "satanic verses" in the book was based on the accounts of the historians al-Waqidi and al-Tabari.[2]

In the United Kingdom, the book was well received among critics. It was a 1988 Booker Prize Finalist, eventually losing to Peter Carey's Oscar and Lucinda, and won the Whitbread Award for novel of the year.[3]

In the Muslim community, however, the novel caused great controversy for what many Muslims believed were blasphemous references. As the controversy spread, the book was banned in India and burned in demonstrations in the United Kingdom. In mid-February 1989, following a violent riot against the book in Pakistan, the Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, Supreme Leader of Iran and a Shi'a Muslim scholar, issued a fatwa calling on all good Muslims to kill Rushdie and his publishers, or to point him out to those who can kill him if they cannot themselves.[citation needed]

Following the fatwa, Rushdie was put under police protection by the British government. Despite a conciliatory statement by Iran in 1998, and Rushdie's declaration that he would stop living in hiding, the Iranian state news agency reported in 2006 that the fatwa will remain in place permanently since fatwas can only be rescinded by the person who first issued them and Ayatollah Khomeini is no longer alive.[4]

As of early 2008 he has not been physically harmed, but others connected with the book have suffered violent attacks. Hitoshi Igarashi, the Japanese language translator of the book, was stabbed to death on July 11, 1991; Ettore Capriolo, the Italian language translator, was seriously injured in a stabbing the same month; William Nygaard, the publisher in Norway, barely survived an attempted assassination in Oslo in October 1993, and Aziz Nesin, the Turkish language translator, was the intended target in the events that led to the Sivas massacre on July 2, 1993 in Sivas, Turkey; it resulted in the deaths of 37 people.

maryluvs_furley.gif

-------~~~~--------
Follow me on Twitter @ShopaholicIAM
PMEmail PosterYahoo
DeeJay
Posted: Dec 1 2008, 03:45 PM
Quote Post

Senior

Group: Members

Member No.: 138

maryluvs_hmm.gif

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Rhapsody In Blue
Posted: Dec 1 2008, 04:37 PM
Quote Post

H A R L E P O L I S

Member No.: 54

I read the book.

And it seemed it to me like a shock stunt just for the hell of pressing button as opposed to a genuine point of view.

The muslim community gave this book more than its worth when they demanded this guy's death maryluvs_thumbdown.gif and the Western media faithful to its pattern, will glorify ANYTHING anti-muslim in a heartbeat.

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Wee Tony
Posted: Dec 1 2008, 04:55 PM
Quote Post

Punching above his weight

Member No.: 461

maryluvs_giggle.gif I remember all that. It was quite a big deal over here.
It highlighted just how different British muslims were to what was (not previously) perceived as the more radical varieties around the world. It was quite the international incident maryluvs_laughing.gif

-------~~~~--------
QUOTE (John Lennon)
Free yourselves
PMEmail PosterMSN
Mary Poppins
Posted: Dec 1 2008, 06:41 PM
Quote Post

Confessed Shopaholic

QUOTE (Bullet Proof Soul @ Dec 1 2008, 03:27 PM)
I read the book.

And it seemed it to me like a shock stunt just for the hell of pressing button as opposed to a genuine point of view.

The muslim community gave this book more than its worth when they demanded this guy's death  maryluvs_thumbdown.gif and the Western media faithful to its pattern, will glorify ANYTHING anti-muslim in a heartbeat.

Sort of like the Catholics did with The DaVinci Code.

OK, I read the synopsis and I really don't understand why he has been condemned for writing this book. Can you break it down for me? unsure.gif

-------~~~~--------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Rhapsody In Blue
Posted: Dec 1 2008, 06:46 PM
Quote Post

H A R L E P O L I S

QUOTE (Jacqueline Monique Smith @ Dec 2 2008, 01:31 AM)
I read the book.

The muslim community gave this book more than its worth when they demanded this guy's death  maryluvs_thumbdown.gif and the Western media faithful to its pattern, will glorify ANYTHING anti-muslim in a heartbeat.

Only BIG difference is....

The latter is actually intersting.

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Mary Poppins
Posted: Dec 1 2008, 06:48 PM
Quote Post

Confessed Shopaholic

QUOTE (Bullet Proof Soul @ Dec 1 2008, 05:36 PM)
QUOTE (Jacqueline Monique Smith @ Dec 2 2008, 01:31 AM)
I read the book.

Only BIG difference is....

The latter is actually intersting.

Can you answer my 2nd question? You responded while I was editting my post. maryluvs_vanity.gif

-------~~~~--------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Rhapsody In Blue
Posted: Dec 1 2008, 07:01 PM
Quote Post

H A R L E P O L I S

Nothing confusing really.

He's trying to find faults in the Qu'ran's scriptures(I'm saying "trying" coz his attempts are obevious). Basically, he wrote an essay discussing HIS interpretation of the holy scriptures. And it drove the people nuts.

Not to mention, the fact that he implied that the prophet Mohammed was a pedophile maryluvs_smh2.gif which turned out to be ANOTHER pile of mess.

I don't condemn him though, because it doesn't take a Jr.High student to figure out that he's so deep in confusion,,,,,forgive him lord, for he not know what he do, obeviously maryluvs_dunno.gif

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Mary Poppins
Posted: Dec 1 2008, 07:04 PM
Quote Post

Confessed Shopaholic

QUOTE (Bullet Proof Soul @ Dec 1 2008, 05:51 PM)

He's trying to find faults in the Qu'ran's scriptures(I'm saying "trying" coz his attempts are obevious). Basically, he wrote an essay discussing HIS interpretation of the holy scriptures. And it drove the people nuts.

Not to mention, the fact that he implied that the prophet Mohammed was a pedophile maryluvs_smh2.gif which turned out to be ANOTHER pile of mess.

I don't condemn him though, because it doesn't take a Jr.High student to figure out that he's so deep in confusion,,,,,forgive him lord, for he not know what he do, obeviously maryluvs_dunno.gif

ohmy.gif

What grounds did he base this accusation on?

-------~~~~--------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Rhapsody In Blue
Posted: Dec 1 2008, 07:17 PM
Quote Post

H A R L E P O L I S

QUOTE (Jacqueline Monique Smith @ Dec 2 2008, 01:54 AM)

ohmy.gif

The prophet got engaged to Aisha Bint Abe Baker, mother of the believers, when she was only 8 years old, for the intention that he wants to marry her when she turns into an adult.

Mind you, this tradition still goes on in the Arab and African countries,,,,when a man likes & respects a family(woman & man) and he wants to marry from them, he presrve(for lack of a better term) their daughter for himself or one of his children or young siblings to marry when she gets older, WITH HER APPROVAL(since we're talking about religion).

This fucker though, talked about the prophet marrying the girl when she's 8 and having sex with her at that age maryluvs_smh.gif which is false, although alot of people fell for it. You'll read alot of other inaccuracies along the pages so I won't burn anything for you.

The whole thing was intended to be a practical joke,,,,,hell, it seemed like it, for his sake.

Read the rest of this shit, Juice, and lemme know what you think later. I'll bet with my rent money that you'll maryluvs_smh.gif even though you're not muslim and know little about Islam.

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Mary Poppins
Posted: Dec 2 2008, 03:45 PM
Quote Post

Confessed Shopaholic

QUOTE (Bullet Proof Soul @ Dec 1 2008, 06:07 PM)

ohmy.gif

The prophet got engaged to Aisha Bint Abe Baker, mother of the believers, when she was only 8 years old, for the intention that he wants to marry her when she turns into an adult.

Mind you, this tradition still goes on in the Arab and African countries,,,,when a man likes & respects a family(woman & man) and he wants to marry from them, he presrve(for lack of a better term) their daughter for himself or one of his children or young siblings to marry when she gets older, WITH HER APPROVAL(since we're talking about religion).

This fucker though, talked about the prophet marrying the girl when she's 8 and having sex with her at that age maryluvs_smh.gif which is false, although alot of people fell for it. You'll read alot of other inaccuracies along the pages so I won't burn anything for you.

The whole thing was intended to be a practical joke,,,,,hell, it seemed like it, for his sake.

Read the rest of this shit, Juice, and lemme know what you think later. I'll bet with my rent money that you'll maryluvs_smh.gif even though you're not muslim and know little about Islam.

Ok, I'm kinda wondering if I should read it since I don't know much about Islam and it will probably go right over my head.

-------~~~~--------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Rhapsody In Blue
Posted: Dec 3 2008, 04:34 AM
Quote Post

H A R L E P O L I S

QUOTE (Jacqueline Monique Smith @ Dec 2 2008, 10:35 PM)
QUOTE (Bullet Proof Soul @ Dec 1 2008, 06:07 PM)

ohmy.gif

Ok, I'm kinda wondering if I should read it since I don't know much about Islam and it will probably go right over my head.

Like I said, its an essay based on inaccuracies.

Its your choise, though.

-------~~~~--------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Google

Web maryluvs.clicdev.com
Skin By L!th!uM sur PlanetGrafiK
Web Statistics